British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-10-10, 10:12 PM

It would be difficult to make an assumption on the E-bay badge simply because the photo's are not clear enough.Just because the seller says its from an old militaria collection does not give it provenance.I would be asking a few questions before buying.Considering their was only about 80 made(sorry can't remember exact figure) in a Egyptian workshop,and that it is from an elite fighting unit ,these badges are extremely collectable.With this in mind,various copies of mixed quality have been to made to decieve.

I have no idea if the Ebay badge is real or fake,It is a case of buyer beware
Old 29-10-10, 08:20 AM

Which badge?

There are a two in the folder. One is an association pin.

I am 10000000000% certain of the badge in my collection confirmed as OK by Geoff Oldhan and Brendan O'Carroll and others...

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
Iain, when I look at the picture of your friends LRP badge, it ticks all the boxes for me, and I feel 100% confident it is the real deal.

Now Shaun please do not take this the wrong way, but I am not 100% comfortable with the badge you have pictured in the attachment above.
This could just be a lack of knowledge on my part, as I too am no expert, and unless I ask the question I wont find the answer.

My main concern regarding the LRP badge you have pictured, is the ghosting flaw on the letter ‘N,’ which I have not seen on the two known originals that I have handled.
Is it hallmarked?
Any chance of a picture of the back of the badge?
Did the badge come with any provenance?

Brent
Old 29-10-10, 08:21 AM

Does not look good to me. I have never seen one with lugs and the pin arrangement on the back of genuine ones is very distinctive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukman View Post
It would be difficult to make an assumption on the E-bay badge simply because the photo's are not clear enough.Just because the seller says its from an old militaria collection does not give it provenance.I would be asking a few questions before buying.Considering their was only about 80 made(sorry can't remember exact figure) in a Egyptian workshop,and that it is from an elite fighting unit ,these badges are extremely collectable.With this in mind,various copies of mixed quality have been to made to decieve.

I have no idea if the Ebay badge is real or fake,It is a case of buyer beware
Old 29-10-10, 09:10 AM

seller says it is brass which is obviously not correct.
Old 29-10-10, 11:34 AM

apparently, some were made in brass for the 'men'
Old 29-10-10, 08:41 PM

I have personally spoken to the "men" that got these made - half a dozen are still arround in NZ. The secretary of the association has told me they were all silver.

Remember there was less than 100 guys in the LRP, they NCOs and ORs were nearly all kiwis with some brit officers.

I nave never seen a brass on and only ever seen silver ones on vets all of whom were "men".

I recall Brendan O'Carrol interviewed the guy who got them made and then collected and destroyed the die. I will call him and ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagdeboy View Post
Old 29-10-10, 08:47 PM

are you the seller badgeboy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagdeboy View Post
Old 29-10-10, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumua View Post
are you the seller badgeboy?
No, just interested in this badge
Old 29-10-10, 09:10 PM

I just spoke to Brendan. He has definately never seen a brass one and never heard anyone mention on in the last 20 years of research. Nice copy though. Would have to be cast off an original badge.
Old 31-10-10, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Which badge?

There are a two in the folder. One is an association pin.

I am 10000000000% certain of the badge in my collection confirmed as OK by Geoff Oldhan and Brendan O'Carroll and others...
Shaun, I would still very much like to see detailed photos of your LRP badge, especially of the back showing the hallmarks.

The more we see of the originals, the less chance the fakes will be passed off as originals
Old 31-10-10, 05:36 AM

Mate, you havent listened.

Mine has no hallmarks.

I spoke to Brendan yesterday and he said he has seen less than 10 badges in 20 years - half had hallmarks half didn't. I dont believe in showing backs of these badges as pin arrangement is unique and fakers will always get the backs wrong. The other thing fakers will get wrong is the gilding.....

Quote:
Shaun, I would still very much like to see detailed photos of your LRP badge, especially of the back showing the hallmarks.

The more we see of the originals, the less chance the fakes will be passed off as originals
Old 31-10-10, 08:54 PM

Smile

Shaun, as far as I can see this is the first mention in this thread that your LRP badge has no hallmarks.

You also made the comment – “I have also held two of the copy badges and have one (will post photos)”
Due to this I had assumed you were ok with posting some pics of your badge.

I can appreciate your belief in not showing the backs of these badges due to the pin arrangement, but Pukman has already let the cat out of the bag by posting a pic of the back of his mates LRP badge.
Brendan O'Carroll also shows the back view of an original LRP badge in his book which belongs to Paul Farmer who is probably New Zealands leading expert on these badges.

As such I can see no harm in posting pics of your LRP badge. However I do suggest we keep the ‘size’ of these badges a secret as this is not common knowledge.
Old 31-10-10, 10:29 PM

I know Paul well. He has only ever owned one badge which he has sold along with all his other LRDG stuff. sniff2 has Pauls badge now. PM me if you want detailed phone.
Old 31-10-10, 10:32 PM

Its very simple. Originals are struck in silver with or without hallmarks.

Copies are cast - this is very obvious. Original die was destroyed after original 90 odd were made.

All copies are cast and actually are very hard to get too.

Quote:

Old 01-11-10, 04:24 PM
peter616

Quote:
Its very simple. Originals are struck in silver with or without hallmarks.

Copies are cast - this is very obvious. Original die was destroyed after original 90 odd were made.

All copies are cast and actually are very hard to get too.

Well some one like the badge its up to £207 now

peter