British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-04-08, 11:01 PM

Default Canadian Plastic (bakelite ?) badges

Here are images of the Canadian plastic (bakelite?) badges of the WW2 era, at least all of the known ones. Recently, 2 unknown issues came to light. They include: 1. Royal Canadian Engineers, 2. Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps. The consistency of the strikings and the sameness have convinced me that they are authentic pieces.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pastics front.jpg (74.6 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg plastics back.jpg (60.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg tech frnt.jpg (46.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg teck back.jpg (23.8 KB, 40 views)
Old 14-04-08, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Nice badges Bill. Scarce scarce scarce. I had not seen the plastic RCE or RCOC until very recently. I think they are close to the only examples known. Ken Joyce has a good description of the manufacturing process in his book Into the Maelstrom. The CTTC badge is another fairly scarce item.
Old 15-04-08, 12:52 AM

Default Scarce one!

Hi Bill, I had never seen the dark RCAC one, I just stumbled over this one in the states,its the real deal, the rear is identical to the lighter one. Do you know of any others?
Old 15-04-08, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Bill, The dark cadet one struck me as different, but my memory was not trustworthy on that item. I have seen lots of the light coloured cadet plastic cap badges, and they are perhaps one of the most common Canadian plastic badges.
Old 29-11-09, 08:10 PM

Can someone give me a ballpark value (Canadian) for the plastic CTTC badge?
Old 03-12-09, 03:14 AM

If you don't want to discuss values on the forum but can send me a PM with this information it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-12-09, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Steve, The badge is relatively scarce which makes a valuation a difficult question. For example, I don't recall seeing a plastic badge on ebay in the last year or so. And I only recall seeing one at a show, but I was not actively looking for one either.
Scarcity, demand, condition, and any given day can affect the value. A valuation would only be an estimation, and can range considerably.
With these considerations in mind, $75 - $100 would be a starting price.
Old 03-12-09, 02:10 PM

I had a Bakelite RCE badge years ago with impecable provenance. However, no one believed it to be authentic. I gave it to a fellow collector some years ago but am pleased to see this post.
Old 04-12-09, 02:08 AM

An official period summary I have on the Canadian plastic badge issue dated November 1942 indicates that orders for moulds had been placed for the following units: RCE, RCA, RCASC, RCOC and RC Signals. Deliveries of badges were expected before the end of 1942. In another period document from Sep 42 it's indicated that a six cavity mould would be used with Canadian Buttons Lte of Montreal producing the RCASC and RCOC ones and Wintrob & Son Ltd Toronto producing the RCA and RCA moulds.

No mention is made in this earlier document of RC Signals. I have never heard of a plastic RC Signals version. Anyone else?

As for RCE, it shows that there were indeed 'legit' badges produced.

Last edited by Joe C; 04-12-09 at 02:19 AM.
Old 04-12-09, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi Steve, The badge is relatively scarce which makes a valuation a difficult question. For example, I don't recall seeing a plastic badge on ebay in the last year or so. And I only recall seeing one at a show, but I was not actively looking for one either.
Scarcity, demand, condition, and any given day can affect the value. A valuation would only be an estimation, and can range considerably.
With these considerations in mind, $75 - $100 would be a starting price.
That's perfect.... that's all I was looking for. Thanks a bunch.

Tags
canadian signals