British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-06-11, 06:04 PM

Thanks Dave, appreciate that. Let's see if the rest of the team chip in.

Thanks gain

Simon
Old 15-06-11, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Hi Alan
Not having the badge means I can't judge it, but I was merely posing a question. Sliders were only introduced c.1906 by which stage the badge with the 'Ladysmith' honour was in use which is why it seemed strange to me, unless it was indeed a pagri badge.
Cheers,
Alex
Alex,

Have a shufi at this heated thread!

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=16652
Old 15-06-11, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Hi Alan
Not having the badge means I can't judge it, but I was merely posing a question. Sliders were only introduced c.1906 by which stage the badge with the 'Ladysmith' honour was in use which is why it seemed strange to me, unless it was indeed a pagri badge.
Cheers,
Alex
Alex,
As Keith has now explained very well,it was indeed a badge that was designed to be used in more than one head-dress,an unusual anomaly,and something I was totally unaware of.
Being more of a cavalry buff, I have to admit where my limited knowledge ends,and i'm where i'm outside my comfort zone.There are far more variants in the Infantry badge field than I realised.
Cheers.
Alan
Old 16-06-11, 07:17 AM

Hi All
That clarifies things a bit and explains the slider .
Cheers,
Alex
Old 17-06-11, 12:03 PM

There seems to be a glut of this pattern of badge aroundd at present but not one like this!

Old 17-06-11, 02:26 PM
Banned

Default KRRC TEK Signallers Gosport

Attachment 42473Hi Keith,

That's a fine example thanks for showing it.

I saw it for sale but wasn't in a position to go for it this time around. Of course that's another (pattern) that will have to go on my wish list, I won't hold my breath!

The picture below is the one that I referred to in the other thread, showing Signallers of the KRRC in Gosport Hants Circa 1904.

Regards

Ry

Last edited by Charlie585; 04-06-12 at 03:00 PM.
Old 17-06-11, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie585 View Post
Hi Keith,

I saw it for sale but wasn't in a position to go for it this time around. Of course that's another (pattern) that will have to go on my wish list, I won't hold my breath!

The picture below is the one that I referred to in the other thread, showing Signallers of the KRRC in Gosport Hants Circa 1904.

Regards

Ry
That's a great picture Ry. Have you been able to scan it on really high resolution to zoom in on the badges?
Old 17-06-11, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Hi Keith,

Regards

Ry

Ry, great picture that shows the first Rifles pattern Brodrick cap I have ever seen, as well as versions of the 1902 SD jacket with removable shoulder straps.
Old 17-06-11, 09:19 PM
Banned

HI gents,

yes it is a great picture, from a local publication that I am hoping in time to expand upon at some point.

Keith,
I have re-scanned at 1200dpi and uploaded it to my previous post, I don't know if this helps too much.

I hope at a future date to be able to make contact with the author and will enquire as to whether the original is available. If so I'll see if I can copy it and post the image again.

I'm very pleased that I posted it in light of your comments Toby, very interesting to hear them.

Regards

Ry
Old 17-06-11, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
There seems to be a glut of this pattern of badge aroundd at present but not one like this!

Way out of my league, so maybe total poppycock, but the backing plate holding the cloth is something I'd normally associate with officer's badges and enamel.

Rgds,
Thomas.
Old 17-06-11, 10:22 PM

Quote:
HI gents,

yes it is a great picture, from a local publication that I am hoping in time to expand upon at some point.

Keith,
I have re-scanned at 1200dpi and uploaded it to my previous post, I don't know if this helps too much.

I hope at a future date to be able to make contact with the author and will enquire as to whether the original is available. If so I'll see if I can copy it and post the image again.

I'm very pleased that I posted it in light of your comments Toby, very interesting to hear them.

Regards

Ry
Thanks Ry. I'm currently scanning some of mine for a thread on the GWF at 2400dpi, it takes forever but for scanning in on shoulder titles, etc you can't beat it. I've started using Postimage (www.postimage.org) to upload photos onto forums too.
Old 17-06-11, 10:57 PM
Banned

Hi Keith,

Yes the high resolution scanning does take a while, I tried that photo (page) at 4,800 dpi which took 19 minutes and wouldn't open to edit so I had to go lower. I noticed that your latest images were hosted, thanks for the link I may give it a go.

Thomas,

This badge has many features of an OSD badge although it doesn't fit the period for those. I assume the red felt backing to the centre would have been a feature of an officer's badge as opposed to the full sized felt backing that is more common.

This badge does throw up the question of the dates that blades were taken into use, the answers to which may prove interesting.

Ry

Last edited by Charlie585; 17-06-11 at 11:05 PM.
Old 17-06-11, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
Way out of my league, so maybe total poppycock, but the backing plate holding the cloth is something I'd normally associate with officer's badges and enamel.

Rgds,
Thomas.
Thomas, this one actually has a circle of very faded red felt.
Old 18-06-11, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
Thomas, this one actually has a circle of very faded red felt.
Thanks Keith, I was aware of the faded cloth, but it seems a bit elaborate for just cloth, compared to badges with official cloth backing I'm aware of, e.g. Border Regt OR's, hence my reference to officers enamel.

Rgds,
Thomas.
Old 26-06-11, 06:53 PM

Default QVC KRRC

Hi was viewing this post and went to check my badges and I have a QVC with the mentioned battle honour but I must ask your advice as this badge is small and lugged see attached photo looks good though!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg (330) The Kings Royal Rifle Corps Q.V.C..jpg (65.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg (331) The Kings Royal Rifle Corps Q.V.C..jpg (67.6 KB, 28 views)

Tags
krrc, tel el kebir