British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-06-11, 12:37 PM

Default Gloucester Regt brass, blackened, bronze?

Hi all, I've had this Gloucester Regt Cap badge in my collection and have never questioned why its brass and not WM.
When now trying to ID it I cant find anything in my books referencing a brass Gloucester, even Andy's album on economy badges doesnt mention a Gloucester in brass. I've thought that maybe it was a bronze or blackened but it has traces of brasso on the reverse!

RTR Sweetheart 011.jpg RTR Sweetheart 012.jpg

Any ideas?

Iain
Old 12-06-11, 01:00 PM
Peter J

Hello Iain,

Opinion seems to be a little divided as to the 'economy' Gloucesters; Gaylor has it listed under 'All-brass Issue Badges', but (among other publications) I do not have my K&K to hand just now.

Check out these previous threads:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...cester+economy

Regards,

Peter
Old 12-06-11, 01:04 PM
Former Member

Iain,
as mentioned in our VMs, I also have one of these... I know what it is not and that's an all GM 1916 economy issued badge. I've a couple of theories... perhaps a blackened badge which has lost it's black finish? perhaps one of the nickle plated versions of this badge which do appear, although often with the nickle still clearly visable with the brass being revealed where wear/rubbing has taken place.. I doubt if it is a Bronze badge as you mentioned, as it would be lugged or bladed.. The other option of course is that it's a fake that somebody has polished a few times!

Andy
Old 12-06-11, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Its a fake. There is a dies flaw on the laurel edge by the EG of Egypt that is found on this fake die. They appear on ebay from time to time in known fakers' stock.
Old 12-06-11, 04:08 PM

Default Brass badges

I have often wondered whether some of these G/M badges such as a Durham Light Infantry one that I have were made and not blackened by the manufacturer but by the units they were issued to.

My DLI is to my mind a well struck original badge, so it will not be consigned to the scrap bin at present.
Old 12-06-11, 10:46 PM

Hi there,

Interested in your post on DLI brass badge. No economy brass for the DLI was issued and I had thought that the blackened badges for the 6th Batt were blackened white metal badges and brass ones were probably repros. I have several brass DLI badges and had not considered these to have been produced for blackening. Think there is more to this indeed. Thanks for the post.

Cheers Dean.
Old 13-06-11, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
Hello Iain,

Opinion seems to be a little divided as to the 'economy' Gloucesters; Gaylor has it listed under 'All-brass Issue Badges', but (among other publications) I do not have my K&K to hand just now.

Check out these previous threads:

Regards,

Peter
Hi Peter,

thanks for the references to previous threads; it made very interesting reading but does weigh strongly that there was a brass Gloster badge.
My one is almost certainly blackened but if a fake has been aged very nicely not to mention that its been in my possession for approx 30 years.

regards,

Iain
Old 13-06-11, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Iain,
as mentioned in our VMs, I also have one of these... I know what it is not and that's an all GM 1916 economy issued badge. I've a couple of theories... perhaps a blackened badge which has lost it's black finish? perhaps one of the nickle plated versions of this badge which do appear, although often with the nickle still clearly visable with the brass being revealed where wear/rubbing has taken place.. I doubt if it is a Bronze badge as you mentioned, as it would be lugged or bladed.. The other option of course is that it's a fake that somebody has polished a few times!

Andy
Hi Andy,

there is no trace of nickel, it seems most likely to be blackened and the black mostly rubbed off. Maybe a fake as Alan has said but then someone has gone to a lot of trouble. If you saw the badge you would also be convinced it was genuine.

regards,

Iain
Old 13-06-11, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Its a fake. There is a dies flaw on the laurel edge by the EG of Egypt that is found on this fake die. They appear on ebay from time to time in known fakers' stock.
Hi Alan,

you know how to shoot someone down in flames.
I take your point as to the die flaw but I've also worked in engineering shops and production people will try to push any rubbish through.
As I mentioned in the above 2 replies to Peter and Andy, the badge has been in my possession about 30 years, I've only polished it once, (like a fool,) and it almost certainly looks to be blackened and very nicely aged.

Dont get me wrong, Im not challenging your valued and knowledgeable opinion but just stating facts in the poor badges defence!

regards,

Iain
Old 13-06-11, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Iain,

The slider is not quite right and there was no economy version recorded but deciding factor for me is the die flaw. While original badges do have flaws and you should never write a badge off because of it, the fact that it is a known faker's die coupled with the other issues is enough for me not to have one in my collection.

As for Gaylor's list, it was so badly compiled that it is worthless. The brass abdges being refered to could have been mis-identified officer badges or more likely locally made Indian badges.

As for the blackened brass TF DLI, the bn were issued blackened brass badges. While blackened w/m ones exist I don't believe that they were issue TF badges but adapted standard issue; either at the time for 'tactical' reasons or by later dealers to up their value. All brass versions do exist but all of the ones that I have seen are either fakes or have had their blacking polished off.

Alan
Old 13-06-11, 10:04 AM

Hi Alan,

thanks for your further thoughts; I'll melt it down and make another one!

regards,

Iain
Old 13-06-11, 10:13 AM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaindh View Post
Hi Alan,

thanks for your further thoughts; I'll melt it down and make another one!

regards,

Iain
Iain,

Be sure to cut the fault out before melting; you don't want a fake bit in a new badge.

PJ
Old 13-06-11, 12:20 PM

Or for sure Peter, one has to live by one's mistakes!

Iain
Old 13-06-11, 04:50 PM

Default Blackened DLI badges

I have a WWII plastic DLI that was blackened when I got it years ago, some of the blacking was worn away on the high points as to be expected, has anyone else encountered blackened plastic DLI badges

Tags
all brass, fake, gloucestshire