British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > The Royal Australian Navy and Air Force (RAN & RAAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-11-14, 12:42 AM

Default RANNS

hi all
always thought this badge was a sweethearts.
after visiting Cerberus museum im now confused? sweethearts or cape badge? and what period?
bc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ranns badge.jpg (48.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 032.jpg (37.7 KB, 40 views)
Old 25-11-14, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgecollector View Post
always thought this badge was a sweethearts.
after visiting Cerberus museum im now confused? sweethearts or cape badge? and what period?
bc

R.A.N.N.S..............Royal Australian Naval Nursing Service..........established in 1942 (October) and, I suspect, were all women. I can't really imagine that many of their sweethearts would appreciate wearing a badge like that. I would opt for cape badge.

I Man
Old 26-11-14, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny B. View Post
R.A.N.N.S..............Royal Australian Naval Nursing Service..........established in 1942 (October) and, I suspect, were all women. I can't really imagine that many of their sweethearts would appreciate wearing a badge like that. I would opt for cape badge.

I Man
lolol thanks donny
yeah I guess not exactly a sweethearts but maybe a next of kin ie mother, sisters etc recognition type badge.
cheers
bc
Old 28-11-14, 11:46 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile Royal Australian Naval Nursing Service.

Hi BC

I was at the Cerberus museum today, Friday. This turned out to be a good day. They had a passing out parade and l met Cpl Daniel Kerrigan VC who was in attendance and assisted with the presentations. We then went to the museum and were shown around by the curator, I showed her the print out and she confirmed that it was the Royal Australian Naval Nursing Service badge and was worn as shown. This was at the time of the WRANS when the females were not intergrated into the Navy.

We also got a few nice items for the military museum where I volunteer.

Regards

Phil.
Old 29-11-14, 12:12 AM

thanks phil
your a good man. sounds like you had a good time down there.
did you get to look out the back? last time I was there I was invited out the back to the storage area. had free range to look through the boxes.
what items did you get for your museum? any pics?
cheers
bc
Old 29-11-14, 10:04 AM

Smile

Hi BC

Have you heard the expression of being like a child in a lolly shop ?

Well that was me on Friday. Yes we got out the back and into the next building. We got 2 officers caps one with a QE 11 badge and the other with a KC badge. And the scoop was a WW1 sailors "soft top" flat top cap. LOTS of trade badges red on navy blue and about 20 navy on white. A selection of other cap badges PO & CPO and a bullion embroidered warrant Officers badge. A collection of various officers shoulder boards and a couple of tally bands, one for PNG. And theres more to come I hope.

l also was able to add "a few" badges to my own collection as well.

If you are down Melb way give me a PM and we can catch up and I can get you into the Running Rabbits museum in Upwey.

Regards

Phil.
Old 25-11-14, 11:14 AM

Smile

Hi BC

I dont know the answer, but I am going to Cerberus this week with some guys from the Upwey Belgrave RSL Running Rabbits Military Museum where I volunteer. I have printed the post out and will take it with me and ask the question and will let you know.

Regards

Phil.