British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-01-10, 09:46 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Default Prices

I have noticed that in the classified section of the forum that there are no bargains to be had. I know that you can't compare apples to oranges but in some other clubs like stamp clubs for example members are offered items at half catalogue price (I don't suggest 50% discount, but surely something should be expected)& there is a constant supply of stamps to the members & also to other clubs. I'm not in the market to buy any more so it dosen't matter to me as far as badges go,but our members don't seem to be too considerate when offering items to other members,( & when you use the classified section that's what you are doing not selling to the public).
Maybe nothing else would work because of the lack of reciprocation ect. Guess I'm out in left field on this one. But I would like some opinions
Old 15-01-10, 10:03 PM

Default classifieds

Perhaps you could start a new trend?
Dave
Old 16-01-10, 02:55 AM

I think by selling on the Forum people are hoping to get a fair price for their badges by selling to knowledgeable collectors and not be subjugated to the vagaries and high fees of the 'Bay. Collectors are mostly selling 'spares' to fund further badge purchases - while I would hope sellers here are asking for fair prices, I'm not sure why there should be any discounts...?
Cheers, Ian.
Old 16-01-10, 10:26 AM
Former Member

Gentlemen,
IMO the classifieds, which were started in good spirit have been hijacked by many who make very little contribution to the Forum, list their items at very high prices and when asked questions tend to be curt in their response (those that bother that is!). Many of the non-contributing sellers (NCS), IMO are just using it as an outlet and avoiding sellers fees or commission!

There are still those who make a full contribution and list items at collectors prices (thank you), I am sure if a listing fee were charged, the NCS would stop listing! However that would also put off those who list out of good will?

I am not sure what the answer is?

Andy
Old 16-01-10, 11:28 AM

I thought that members of this forum where also members of the public .I have a number of badges on the forum for sale but resent the accusation that all sellers have hijacked the classifieds section.I have offered my badges at what i think is a fair price if some one wants any of my badges they also have the option to haggle in a private message so whats the problem.AS i have posted before why not ask the seller to make a small donation to charity if a badge is sold maybe the HELP FOR HERO'S charity or some other one along he same lines.
Old 16-01-10, 12:18 PM
Former Member

I clearly did not say all sellers and stand by my opinion as a member of the public and of the Forum! "If the cap fits" springs to mind! I agree with the H4H donation suggestion!

Best regards

Andy
Old 16-01-10, 12:30 PM

Smile Sellers and prices

This may sound like a load of bull, but when I contacted a forum member with a view to him buying some badges from me, his comment was "why are they so cheap". Having not dealt with me before, I could see the threads of suspicion arising as to whether these badges were the "real deal".

I did say that if needed I could increase the price especially for him! Seriously though, I bought a large collection of badges at a very reasonable price and merely wished to pass on my good fortune to fellow collectors. By doing so, I hoped to increase the hobby among collectors. Having spent hours at fairs listening to completely dishonest dealers telling customers that their restrike badges were worn at Arnhem, Gallipoli etc and watching them write out cheques for large sums as they buy items that were made last week I feel that this forum is one of the best things to happen to badge collecting in years.

True, none of us are charities and if we pay £20 for a badge we can't be expected to sell it for £5, However, prices at auction still astound us, but these are often "one offs", next time another similar badge may only make half the price, so what I say is offer a deal if you think the price is high or an exchange, but remember, as I said in another thread, think before you part with your items.
Old 16-01-10, 01:28 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

I was under the impression ( admittedly my own ), that my prices were more than reasonable, £15 for a maker marked OSD is CHEAP, as is £15 including postage for a choice OSD, my top price was £20 for a pair of London titles and that included postage too....incidently, postage is £1.36p for recorded delivery and that is all I use.........................

However for any member who thinks I should be giving my badges away and because I'm already having a particularly bad day, I have deleted my sales, that should please a few, I'll just go back to ebay.

As a postscript, in my opinion, Alan O and in particular, oc14 both sell at very reasonable prices, I have bought from them both, also can it be remembered that the ' sales ' section is for members to sell badges etc, I don't recall it ever being referred to as a ' charity shop ', I would wager a bet that the stamp clubs would not have been banging genuine 1d blacks or reds out at half price............................................. ..........................

I must however, with hindsight, remember those members who do not ask for anything when imparting with items, several members have in fact been generous to myself, they know who I mean and they also know their generosity is highly appreciated, especially the most recent gifts from ' 1stTankie ' but there is a definitive difference between helping a member through the goodness of your heart and having to sell, as in my case, valued and treasured collections, we are not all out to get the best price possible, that's why there are fixed prices............................................ ...........................................

Last edited by davec2; 16-01-10 at 06:00 PM. Reason: PS
Old 16-01-10, 07:27 PM

I have to eat a little crow here and say I was refering to Canadian items. I don't know the prices on UK items, But I imagine the norm applies. Interesting comments though.
Old 16-01-10, 09:25 PM

I think you need to eat a big piece of humble pie you have made comments and ith all due respect you have then posted your last comment saying you don't know the price of UK badges may be in furture it might be wise to do some home work before you make such a sweeping statement
Old 16-01-10, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots and saddles View Post
I have to eat a little crow here and say I was refering to Canadian items. I don't know the prices on UK items, But I imagine the norm applies. Interesting comments though.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, free markets have a way of correcting themselves, price too high - you don't sell, you get bored and give up, or you change tack, price it right and get rid of some stuff. simples.

Old 16-01-10, 11:27 PM

Smile Please don't stop selling on the classifieds!

Pricing is always a tricky matter. At the end of the day the price needs to be attractive enough for it to sell and supply and demand dictate a relative price to the market.

It is one of my great delights to log on and see if a member has listed a badge I am looking for. I have bought a couple and have been very happy with the service and friendliness involved in the transaction. The prices have been very reasonable. I buy of eBay and now use the Forum to check the authenticity of a prospective purchase etc. I also buy on eBay from members. I just like to think thanks to the Forum I make more informed purchases.

Like many I have sometimes paid more than I should from a badge on eBay but if I really want it then I am spurred on and that we have all experienced I am sure. I especially do this at fairs as the anticipation makes me willing to pay a little more because I get to handle and inspect them for a change!

So please continue to list your badges for sale, I am an active collector and always on the look out for ones we do not have. It may only be a few pounds for the seller but it brings great enjoyment to collectors like me getting something new for the collection!
Old 17-01-10, 12:29 AM

Right on Mike. If something don't sell you know why.
Old 17-01-10, 10:36 AM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots and saddles View Post
Right on Mike. If something don't sell you know why.
Boots and Saddles,

Your original remark was made on the Canadian General Topics site, this was obviously missed by the British members who reacted to what you said but you didn't say originally that it was aimed at Canadian sellers only and I still believe the statement was aimed at all sellers.

To then admit that you don't know too much about the prices charged over here isn't good enough to excuse what I would consider to be incitement, particularly as you went on to say that you weren't in the market for badges anyway.

I personally, thought your remarks were blase, especially your last remark which I think was flippant to say the least, you are fast enough to say that if an item does not sell, we all know why but I think, again it's my own opinion, that when it comes to people selling in a dedicated sales section and not necessarily on this forum, the prices asked have absolutely nothing to do with you or anyone else.

If you see something and think it's too expensive, click off it, no-one is asking you or anyone else if the price is right or wrong, if it's a fixed price, the seller has decided that price and it is none of your business what he decides, end of.

Last edited by davec2; 17-01-10 at 10:45 AM.
Old 17-01-10, 02:41 PM

Default Prices

Hi All
Just to add my 5c worth. I would always far rather swop a badge than buy one, but down here in South Africa, that is hardly ever possible so I buy when I can. Just like any other collector a bargain is always welcome, but I don't expect it. I also haven't yet tried selling anything, but I also consider my collection to be an investment, so when the day comes that I decide it's time to find a new owner for my stuff, I hope to get a market related price for what I sell. Thanks to the guys who do make things available on the market and help us improve our collections.
cheers,
Alex