British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-02-19, 08:10 PM

Default Brecknockshire FSH & Puggaree

Visited the St. Albans Museum today, and spotted the Wolseley helmet shown below.

The cap badge at the front is Brecknockshire, and appears to be an OSD. The flash on the left side of the puggaree is very faded and discoloured. Would anybody know if this flash is correct for Brecknockshire, and what its colours (when not faded) actually are?

With thanks,

JT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2B425A13-02EF-40F5-952A-05209E3C1504.jpg (34.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 4E10A15F-ACB4-4A95-A69B-F9CAC0BAAA45.jpg (66.2 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 2F898465-31D8-4F21-AEEB-4CE3B770D634.jpg (53.2 KB, 53 views)
Old 09-02-19, 09:27 PM

Evening.

Pagri flash is correct and would be green/white/green.

Helmet looks like the one (probably the same) that DNW sold from the late Llewellyn Lord collection back in Sept 16.

Ta

Jonathan
Old 09-02-19, 09:33 PM

There's a photo on eBay at the moment (well, there was yesterday) of a group of Brecknockshires with FSH bearing what looks like the same flash and possibly metal badges to the front.
Old 09-02-19, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKIES View Post
Evening.

Pagri flash is correct and would be green/white/green.

Helmet looks like the one (probably the same) that DNW sold from the late Llewellyn Lord collection back in Sept 16.

Ta

Jonathan
Many thanks, Jonathan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
There's a photo on eBay at the moment (well, there was yesterday) of a group of Brecknockshires with FSH bearing what looks like the same flash and possibly metal badges to the front.
Thanks Leigh. I think this must be the eBay listing you refer to:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F401477471860
Old 09-02-19, 10:14 PM

Quote:
This one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-soldi...UAAOSwdW9aJDIY

Tim (Beaten to it!)
Old 09-02-19, 11:26 PM

Yes, that's the one.
Old 09-02-19, 11:42 PM

I just don't see the connection of the helmet to St. Albans.
Old 10-02-19, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I just don't see the connection of the helmet to St. Albans.
Hoot, that’s a really good question.

In the C19th, straw hat making was a major trade in St. Albans, with over forty factories in the town. At the outbreak of the Great War, the companies that thrived were those who were willing to adapt their skills. Companies such as E. Day & Co. began to produce helmets like the Brecknockshire example on display in the museum.

I have no idea if the example on display was manufactured by a St. Albans hat maker, and I suppose a Wolseley bedecked with the insignia of a Herts unit might be deemed more appropriate for display. Then again, the fact that the this was not a Herts unit got your puzzler whirring and generated more info.

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 10-02-19 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Typo correction
Old 10-02-19, 08:21 AM

Some FSH were made of fabric covered straw, I wonder if this one is?
Old 10-02-19, 08:24 AM

Aha - a St Alban's manufactured straw FSH.
A quick Google rather than a trip to check Peter Sucui and Stuart Bates books -
http://www.militarysunhelmets.com/20...lseley-helmets

"Only two straw Wolseleys are known to survive and are in the author’s collection."

One manufactured by E. Day, St Alban's is shown in the link, it's badged and named to the KSLI, 1915.

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 10-02-19 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-02-19, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Aha - a St Alban's manufactured straw FSH.
A quick Google rather than a trip to check Peter Sucui and Stuart Asquith's books -
http://www.militarysunhelmets.com/20...lseley-helmets

"Only two straw Wolseleys are known to survive and are in the author’s collection."

One manufactured by E. Day, St Alban's is shown in the link, it's badged and named to the KSLI, 1915.
Nice one, Leigh.
Old 10-02-19, 08:36 AM

As I think it's the same or close to the DNW helmet, listing below.

Brecknockshire Battalion WWI Period Tropical Helmet, a very rare example retailed by ‘E. Day, St. Albans, 1918’ complete with quilted buff coloured cotton pagri and sewn in pagri Div. sign being green with central white stripe (the green now faded), to the front the Brecknockshire Battalion cap badge in die stamped gilding metal, internally complete with original leather sweat band and green canvas lining to the peaks, War Office internal stamping ‘162/Wbroad arrowD/O’, leather chin strap mostly present but fractured in two places, some fraying to the cotton pagri cloth but generally very good condition for age £300-500

Ta

Jonathan
Old 10-02-19, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKIES View Post
As I think it's the same or close to the DNW helmet, listing below.

Brecknockshire Battalion WWI Period Tropical Helmet, a very rare example retailed by ‘E. Day, St. Albans, 1918’ complete with quilted buff coloured cotton pagri and sewn in pagri Div. sign being green with central white stripe (the green now faded), to the front the Brecknockshire Battalion cap badge in die stamped gilding metal, internally complete with original leather sweat band and green canvas lining to the peaks, War Office internal stamping ‘162/Wbroad arrowD/O’, leather chin strap mostly present but fractured in two places, some fraying to the cotton pagri cloth but generally very good condition for age £300-500

Ta

Jonathan
Here is a snap of the underside, though there’s not much to see. The display stand it’s mounted on obscrures any chance at seeing a maker mark and other detail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E57EED07-A5FA-425D-81A9-2497CD4B7465.jpg (42.7 KB, 32 views)
Old 10-02-19, 08:46 AM

The Brecknockshire Regt became a VB of the South Wales Borderers and it is that regiment’s ‘green-white-green’ flash on the side of the helmet. Unlike the Monmouth’s the Brecknock’s always retained their close association with the SWB.
Old 10-02-19, 10:52 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
Hoot, that’s a really good question.

In the C19th, straw hat making was a major trade in St. Albans, with over forty factories in the town. At the outbreak of the Great War, the companies that thrived were those who were willing to adapt their skills. Companies such as E. Day & Co. began to produce helmets like the Brecknockshire example on display in the museum.

I have no idea if the example on display was manufactured by a St. Albans hat maker, and I suppose a Wolseley bedecked with the insignia of a Herts unit might be deemed more appropriate for display. Then again, the fact that the this was not a Herts unit got your puzzler whirring and generated more info.

JT
Thanks for that JT, I am now feeling somewhat embarrassed. Being fairly local to St. Albans, 13 miles up the A5, I had completely overlooked the St. Albans hat trade. Being from the Luton area we were taught all about the hat trade at school and about it's importance to Luton and the surrounding area. My only excuse is old age and absent-mindedness. Yours, the Mad Hatter.