British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Air Force (RCAF and CAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-10-10, 09:54 AM
Banned

Hi Bill

Not sure where you got that from, the RCAF have never had a metal wing for wear on either service dress (blue winter dress or khaki summer dress) or Mess dress. Both are cloth with the latter bullion detail. Its a correct wing for the RCAF summer service dress, but unlikely with that fitting. The tropical service dress insignia was the same, although the fitment on most occasions was hooks or popper studs, allowing the insignia to be removed but was firmly affixed when on.

Youre not thinking of RAF Transport and Ferry Command are you? RAF Ferry Command when started was staffed by civilians who were given a uniform in case they came down on hostile territory. They ferried aircraft from North America to the UK (and later to the middle east and other places). As such FC was staffed mostly by Canadians or Americans, but the uniform was dark blue double breasted winter dress, and the standard single breaseted RCAF khaki summer dress. Transport Command was formed from Ferry Command, and the numbers were increased by service personnel from all services wearing their standard uniform. But the wings and half wings for FC and TC were silver with blue enamel detail (they were identical aside from the title underneath). Perhaps youre thinking of this?
Old 14-10-10, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Hello SAS1, No, the wing is not for Ferry Command. The wing that I am talking about is an enamelled white metal wing about 2 1/2 inches to 3 inches in width. It was fastened with a pin and locking hasp on the reverse. The enamel was on the RCAF initials and crown. Unfortunately I do not have one show, but I have had 5 of 6 over the years. My initial thoughts when I got these was that they were sweetheart pins, but they were awfully large for a sweetheart. The pattern is illustrated as a sweetheart in Warren Carroll's Eagles Recalled on page 125, bottom right image. However, Carroll indicates the wing is gilded, while the ones I have had were white metal.
The source of one of the wings indicated that he had worn them on his khaki drill uniform. Memories etc are vague and fleeting, and indeed the provenance may be incorrect. Note, he did not serve overseas, only in Canada. I have never seen any images of the wing in wear, and have been on the watch for one for years.
Old 14-10-10, 04:09 PM
Banned

No, the wing shown in warren's book is just that - a sweetheart badge. Both RCAF and Kings Regulations would prohibit the wearing of such a badge on the uniform, as its neither an issue item nor a recognised pattern of wing. Kings Regulations are very specific about the wearing of non-authorised insignia.

The same cloth wings and brevets were to be worn on both the khaki summer dress and winder blue dress, the attachment usually the same (stitched). Tropical service dress however quite often had the same cloth insignia attached either by pin, popper studs or hook and eye, for the simple reason that it could be removed easily and quickly for washing. Most natives, who did this for a small sum, tended to use rocks smashed together (with the garment in the middle) to get the clothes clean, and non removeable insignia tended to suffer greatly as a result!
Old 14-10-10, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks SAS1.
Old 14-10-11, 09:29 PM

I strongly suspect that the safety pin was for a "Wings Parade" when the Pilot finally passed all tests and would have had them "pinned on" by whoever was given the honour of doing so. I note that during said parades, when there usually are a number of Wings' recipients, the "new" Pilot is allowed to have a (distinguished) relative do the honour of pinning the Wings on.