British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-02-10, 04:39 PM

Question Black Watch or ?

A long time ago I told my dealer that I wanted a Black Watch and was sent this. I had expected it would be white medal. Could this be the 1916 brass version? Or something else? Opinions appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sorry, I don't have a picture of the back.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1100184.jpg (42.8 KB, 67 views)
Old 02-02-10, 05:01 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi Don,

To the best of my limited knowledge, there should not be a brass Black Watch, it's not shown in Bloomers anyway ??

There was a bronze Officers version to the 1st ( City of Dundee ) Volunteers Battalion, The Black Watch ( Royal Highlanders ), 1902 - 1908.

I hope this helps, it's not unlike the situation with my 14th London, there shouldn't be one but I'm keeping it ??

I'm always wrong so I'm sure some-one will come along and refute what I have said. lol.........

Dave.
Old 02-02-10, 05:27 PM

Somewhat confusing, but I read somewhere that the Canuks made them for their forces in brass and some without the word "Canada" on them.
Doc B
Old 02-02-10, 06:14 PM

Hello Gents. More likely a 42nd Battalion CEF badge.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/can...ce/cef_e42.htm

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 02-02-10, 06:56 PM

Definitely Canadian.
Definitely NOT British.
Old 02-02-10, 07:35 PM

Default Canadian? Who'd have thought?

Thanks Jo.

And I thought I didn't collect Canadian! The knowledge base of this forum never ceases to amaze me. Now that I am a certified Canadian collector, could you please give me some background on this unit. Also, is it rare, common, or just a bit out of the ordinary? Of course now it's back to square 1 trying to find a WWI British Black Watch.

Thanks for the help.

Don
Old 02-02-10, 08:13 PM

Default 42nd Inf Bn "Royal Highlanders Of Canada - The Black Watch"

The Bn was raised in Montreal, sailed in June of '15 and fought in 7 Bde 3Div. As with all of the Scottish badges it is sought after. This one is not the most expensive of them or the hardest to get - but they are not "all over the place". I would say a mid priced, mid difficulty badge

Larry
Old 02-02-10, 09:08 PM

Smile Serendipity

Thanks Larry.

When I started this thread I fully expected to find I have another dud. It is nice to find that this one is good. This now comprises 50% of my Canadian collection and is the good half. Display shouldn’t be a problem.

Don
Old 03-02-10, 01:19 PM

Well good luck on increasing your "Canadian" collection. The Arms Fairs in the UK have a great assortment of Canadian badges available. Go to the Canadian section of this forum to protect yourself from the fakes out there.
Old 03-02-10, 01:58 PM

Could be 42nd or 73rd battalion CEF but I am not convinced it is original from that one photo alone. There are fakes about. However, there are also several strikings of original badges. More and better images are needed.

I would try a bend test, if you can bend it relatively easily with your hands, send it back toute suite.

There are a few threads on the forum about these badges already, a search will reveal them.

Adam
Old 03-02-10, 02:16 PM

Thanks Adam,

This badge doesn't bend. I've had this badge 25 years or so, and the dealer has disappeared into the wilds of Southern California. No sending it back. He brought it back from a buying trip to the UK, which probably means nothing in the greater scheme of things. I will do some poking around here and see what I can learn. I will also try for more pics if my son brings his digital camera home this weekend.

Regards,

Don
Old 03-02-10, 02:18 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilationtcornpone View Post
Thanks Larry.

When I started this thread I fully expected to find I have another dud. It is nice to find that this one is good. This now comprises 50% of my Canadian collection and is the good half. Display shouldn’t be a problem.

Don
Hi Don,

It's nice to see a sense of humour ?? I don't suppose my brass 14th London could be Canadian.................or is that having a bigger laugh ??

Dave.