British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-09-11, 08:35 AM

Thumbs down Lincolnshire Regiment bladed OSD cap badge restrike

Hi all,

One to watch - the OSD version of the Sphinx and Lincolnshire scroll cap badge of the pre-1946 era of the Lincolnshire Regiment is a star pattern badge in bronze (same style if you will of K&K 1957), please see my Lincolnshire album. This replaced early star pattern versions in silver and gilt and were in turn replaced with silver and gilt Royal Lincolnshire forage cap badges (K&K 1958).

I have a variant in bronze which looks ok with a cast scroll and lugs (subject of a previous post and maybe a variant) but the one below looks an inferior die struck pattern in thin bronzed coloured metal with blades. This is a restrike badge from the bimetal Lincolnshire dies (K&K 600).

Beware they are out there.

Cheers Dean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lin.18.f.jpg (70.5 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg lin.18.r.jpg (69.4 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by mooke07; 25-09-11 at 08:44 AM.
Old 25-09-11, 09:03 AM

Dean, I've been concerned about die struck OSDs for a while. There are quite a few King's 1926 Pattern ones about that I've been unsure about. I have seen a photograph of an 1896 Pattern one which the owner swears is a genuine 1st WW officer's "economy" ! But I'm certainly not sure about the die struck MGC OSD I have just uploaded. - but all of these are in one piece.
However, I have a 1926 Ptn King's OSD which is clearly cast from a bimetal badge and stamped LUDLOW LONDON - which actually I think is genuine.
Old 25-09-11, 09:18 AM

Smile

Thanks Julian,

I note your observations with OSD King's Liverpool badges. I would be happy to find one with an original makers mark to the Lincolnshire regiment - I have not one that is makers marked!

Cheers Dean
Old 25-09-11, 09:52 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooke07 View Post
Hi all,

One to watch - the OSD version of the Sphinx and Lincolnshire scroll cap badge of the pre-1946 era of the Lincolnshire Regiment is a star pattern badge in bronze (same style if you will of K&K 1957), please see my Lincolnshire album. This replaced early star pattern versions in silver and gilt and were in turn replaced with silver and gilt Royal Lincolnshire forage cap badges (K&K 1958).

I have a variant in bronze which looks ok with a cast scroll and lugs (subject of a previous post and maybe a variant) but the one below looks an inferior die struck pattern in thin bronzed coloured metal with blades. This is a restrike badge from the bimetal Lincolnshire dies (K&K 600).

Beware they are out there.

Cheers Dean.
Dean,
looks like an ORs badge which has been painted brown and had blades fitted?

Andy
Old 26-09-11, 05:58 AM

Wink

Spot on Andy,

Closer inspection indeed shows stub of a slider and under the blades are the tabs holding the scroll to the Sphinx and it was a gilding metal badge that has been painted. The Sphinx is the smiling clown type and is seen on later restrikes of a WW1 era badge.

A lot of trouble to go to fitting blades and painting over.

Appreciate the observations from afar Andy when I had the badge in my hand, experience counts, cheers Dean.
Old 03-10-11, 09:00 PM

Default Lincs badge bladed OSD

I agree this is a re-strike badge.
To my knowledge this design of cap badge was only ever worn by OR: Officers always officially wore the star.
Unofficiallly, the left hand OSD collar badge was worn as a headdress badge by some officers. A photo of such a badge, worn by a Capt Nicholson, was subject of an earlier thread.

Stephen.
Old 09-10-11, 01:58 AM

Hi Stephen,

Agree on repro as have found a dodgy e-dealer site with same badge as mine and other OSD badges all with the painted look, cheers Dean.

Tags
lincolnshire regiment, osd