British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-02-14, 05:56 PM

Default Mystery Badge

I have been sent these pictures by a Rifle Club who found the badge amongst their records. The badge is brass and measures 10 cm by 5.5 cm. You will notice that the "Honi Soit..." is not centred and there is an odd silver centrepiece. I have assured the Rifle Club that members of this forum will come up with a satisfactory answer and solve the problem in half a trice. My own thoughts are that it is part of the decorations on a horse harness. Appreciate any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BD1.jpg (41.8 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg BD2.jpg (61.4 KB, 91 views)
Old 15-02-14, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Aitkens View Post
I have been sent these pictures by a Rifle Club who found the badge amongst their records. The badge is brass and measures 10 cm by 5.5 cm. You will notice that the "Honi Soit..." is not centred and there is an odd silver centrepiece. I have assured the Rifle Club that members of this forum will come up with a satisfactory answer and solve the problem in half a trice. My own thoughts are that it is part of the decorations on a horse harness. Appreciate any help.
Peter

I don't know about 'half at trice' it may take a little longer
but for what its worth, I think you could be right, it maybe a piece of Horse furniture, possibly from a breast plate.
However, I have no idea what it pertains too, it could be military, but there again could it be civil? interesting piece though.

Regards
Rob

The older I get ................the better I was !
Old 15-02-14, 08:10 PM

Default Martingale badge

Hi Peter/Rob,

You are both correct, its horse furniture. Martingale badge to one of the household Regt,s . off the top of my head I can’t remember which one.

Keep hold of it, only ever seen yours mine with the leather backing and one other.

Will post a pic of mine on my return to the Uk

3748 Hussar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robthereiver View Post
Peter

I don't know about 'half at trice' it may take a little longer
but for what its worth, I think you could be right, it maybe a piece of Horse furniture, possibly from a breast plate.
However, I have no idea what it pertains too, it could be military, but there again could it be civil? interesting piece though.

Regards
Rob

Last edited by 3748 Hussar; 15-02-14 at 10:10 PM. Reason: update
Old 17-02-14, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3748 Hussar View Post
Hi Peter/Rob,

You are both correct, its horse furniture. Martingale badge to one of the household Regt,s . off the top of my head I can’t remember which one.

Keep hold of it, only ever seen yours mine with the leather backing and one other.

Will post a pic of mine on my return to the Uk

3748 Hussar
Tony

Spot on! I think its a Blues & Royals Officers Breast plate Device, I can't find a decent image but the description is in 'The Household Cavalry Regiment' by Roy Manser, quote: 'a brass boss bearing a crown over the garter, with a scalloped centre piece in steel', and that sounds about right, I hope so.

The other ranks ones are quite common, officers much less so, actually I don't recall ever seeing one for sale.

Rob

Old 17-02-14, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Tony

Spot on! I think its a Blues & Royals Officers Breast plate Device, I can't find a decent image but the description is in 'The Household Cavalry Regiment' by Roy Manser, quote: 'a brass boss bearing a crown over the garter, with a scalloped centre piece in steel', and that sounds about right, I hope so.

The other ranks ones are quite common, officers much less so, actually I don't recall ever seeing one for sale.

Rob
Rob

The only problem I have with that is the "Honi Soit.." bit is not within a Garter, which seems unlikely. However the rest seems to match perfectly.

P
Old 17-02-14, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Aitkens View Post
Rob

The only problem I have with that is the "Honi Soit.." bit is not within a Garter, which seems unlikely. However the rest seems to match perfectly.

P
Peter

I know what you mean normally a garter has an end hanging from the bottom of it etc. but I would suggest that the circle containing the Honi Soit... etc. might be classed as a garter in this instance?, or this is a variant? or the description isn't quite accurate?, which does happen.

Also, I think your breast plate device is use for 'Review Order' also there is I believe another 'Regimental' Breast plate device, which was used in 'Guard Order' (though this may just apply to the Life Guards). Household Cavalry Dress reg's, even for Horses, appear to be a bit of nightmare to understand, excuse the puns!

Tony might have a view on this or another member of the forum perhaps there's an ex HCMR Officer in our midst

Rob

Last edited by Robthereiver; 17-02-14 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Additions & corrections.
Old 17-02-14, 11:31 PM

Default Pic . Drum horse Blues and Royals

Hi Rob,Peter,

Rob thanks for the website reference . How did you miss the nag with the horse furniture under discussion . It's as clear as black and white excuse the pun . Something I have learned it's also worn as a bit boss.
Looking into why the garter is the way it is .
Image under drum horse full dress Blues and Royals.

Regards

Tony C

Quote:
Peter

I know what you mean normally a garter has an end hanging from the bottom of it etc. but I would suggest that the circle containing the Honi Soit... etc. might be classed as a garter in this instance?, or this is a variant? or the description isn't quite accurate?, which does happen.

Also, I think your breast plate device is use for 'Review Order' also there is I believe another 'Regimental' Breast plate device, which was used in 'Guard Order' (though this may just apply to the Life Guards). Household Cavalry Dress reg's, even for Horses, appear to be a bit of nightmare to understand, excuse the puns!

Tony might have a view on this or another member of the forum perhaps there's an ex HCMR Officer in our midst

Rob
Old 18-02-14, 12:01 AM

Default Clearer pic

Hi All,

Clearly jet lagged see link for a better pic,s . Also in Black and white

http://www.pinterest.com/ihatehousew...oyals-for-dad/

Tony C
Old 18-02-14, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Hi All,

Tony C
Tony

That's brilliant. No doubt about it - case closed. Would I be right in saying that the horse shown is the mount of an officer from the Blues and Royals, in that you can just see a black 'beard' bottom left.

Once again many thanks.

P
Old 18-02-14, 01:55 PM
Administrator

I can see one of my own images on that page.
so how does pinterest work then with copyright ?
Old 18-02-14, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Hi All,

Tony C
Hi Tony

I was looking at Officers mounts, overlooked the Drum horse never mind.

As you say worn as bit boss as well, which when you think it through should not really surprise us, as O/R's state bits have the royal cypher with waterloo peninsular bit boss's which is also used as a breast plate ornament

Rob

Old 22-02-14, 11:19 AM

Default Identified

Many thanks for contributions from Forum Members - as expected the Forum came up trumps and here is the proof - the badge can be clearly seen as part of the Horse's harness.
Old 22-02-14, 11:21 AM

Somehow the picture got left behind here is another try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e9ddc7329d12e9b8dd7e52d9469a34e8.jpg (106.2 KB, 17 views)

Tags
honi soit, horse brass, mystery