British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-09-11, 01:54 PM

Thumbs up Bytown Militaria Collectors' Association talk on CMCs Mar 7 2012

E3161 Victoria Edwards (RMC 2003) presented on Military College insignia memorialized in various media (silk, silver, stone, stamps, stained glass, etc.) at the Bytown Militaria Collectors' Association (BMCA) original scheduled for Dec 7 2011 was held on Wednesday March 7 at 19:30 hrs. Her powerpoint slideshow and talk was based on her ongoing research as a staff writer for e-veritas (RMC Club alumni journal) for which she was awarded the RMC Club President's Award.

16147 Maj Brett Stewart (RRMC 1987) brought his collection of RRMC uniforms, badges and photos for the show-and-tell part of the meeting.

The BMCA meets at the Warrant Officers' & Sergeants Mess GGFG/CHofO WOs and Sgts Mess which is INSIDE Cartier Square Drill Hall, 2 Queen Elizabeth Driveway in Ottawa, Ontario on the first Wednesday of each month (except Jul and Aug) at 19.30 hrs. A number of BMCA members are either serving or ex-military, or work for DND. BMCA members share an interest in all things militaria and bring militaria in for the show-and-tell part of the meeting.

Artefacts of note during the BCMA members show and tell include a carved RMC tea tray; several cartoons by the late 1958 Brigadier-General (Ret`d) Alan Connelly (RMC 1927); and a collection of RMC badges.

Last edited by Victoria Edwards; 09-03-12 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Clarification...Update!
Old 30-11-11, 05:54 PM

Default Royal Roads Military College uniforms, pins, buttons, etc

Hi all,

Maj. Brett Stewart (RRMC 1987), my copresenter, and I took some photos of his Royal Roads Military College uniforms, badges, yearbook and militaria for the show-and-tell part of our talk at the Bytown Militaria Collectors' Association (BMCA) on Wednesday March 7 at 19:30 hrs.

Perhaps you may find them of interest.

Victoria Edwards (RMC 2003)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Royal Roads bars.JPG (15.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Royal Roads 3 Squadron.JPG (15.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Royal Roads Military College pins & buttons.JPG (13.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Battle Blouse.jpg (36.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Scarlets.jpg (31.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Sixs.jpg (36.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg The Log.jpg (69.3 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Victoria Edwards; 09-03-12 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-12-11, 08:01 PM

Hello

I was just wondering if attendance at this event is restricted? Thanks.

Paul
Old 04-12-11, 05:31 AM

Default Bytown Militaria Collectors Association talk.......

Noiseboyz3:
No, there is no restriction here- all pers interested in Militaria are more than welcome at the monthly meetings.
Cheers,
John S.
Old 04-12-11, 06:55 PM

Thank you John. I will mark my calender and, hopefully nothing will come up that prevents me from attending.

Paul
Old 05-12-11, 06:44 PM

Default Display Box

You may find the display case that my copresenter, Maj Brett Stewart put together for the Bytown Militaria Collector`s Association talk of interest. I am curious about display boxes of militaria in general, and those displaying Canadian Military Colleges militaria in particular.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Display_case.JPG (46.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 08-12-11, 03:30 AM

Hello John and Victoria

There were five of us at the main entrance of the WO'S & Sgt's Mess tonight but we did not find a meeting. Were we at the wrong place?

Paul
Old 08-12-11, 03:49 AM

Default BMCA Meetings

BMCA Mettings are held at the GGFG/CHofO WOs and Sgts Mess which is INSIDE Cartier Square Drill Hall. Not at the mess beside the Drill Hall which caters to the CFSU(O) WOs and Sgts of the greater Ottawa area.

ED
Old 08-12-11, 03:43 PM

Thank you Ed. I now have the target bracketed. My next rounds (attendance) should be on target. Cheers.

Paul
Old 08-12-11, 06:52 PM

Default The WO& Sergeant`s Mess @ the drill hall

At the Drill Hall:

Enter the Drill Hall (there is a door just by the bren gun carrier, not the big doors) go round to the right around the parade ground. There's usually something going on on the parade ground, and as you probably know, it's taboo to cross the square anyway.

Follow the wall round to the back of the hall where there is a door on the right hand side.

Go through the door and up the stairs.

At the top of the stairs there is a door on the left. Voila!
Old 08-12-11, 08:58 PM

Thank you, Victoria

Paul
Old 09-12-11, 05:21 PM

Our next meeting is on Wednesday January 4 at 7:30 pm. There is no speaker scheduled because January's meeting is always subject to cancellation due to the weather. Invariably there is a snow storm or freezing rain. If it is cancelled we will try to let members know ASAP.

David
Old 12-12-11, 01:20 AM

Now that I am finally back in Canada full time, I just have to get the heck out of Montreal on one of the meeting nights. Likely not until the spring though, I hate sketchy weather

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 09-03-12, 08:57 PM

Wink Carved RMC tea trays etc.

One of the members was asking about the carved Royal Military College of Canada tea tray (shown), which he brought to the Bytown Military Collector`s meeting. I followed up with Louis E. Grimshaw, Military Antiques & Collectables.

The carved RMC artifacts, which included single and multiple picture frames, trays, boxes, etc were carved by Sgt Middleton, who was on staff at RMC during the 1920s. Louis believes that Sgt Middleton sold the material himself vice through the RMC kit shop.

The RMC Museum (may have/likely has) a collection of carved items by Sgt Middleton.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carved Royal Military College of Canada Tea Tray.jpg (43.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 12-03-12, 06:04 PM

Thumbs up Bytown Militaria Collectors Association meeting 7 Mar 2012

There is a writeup on the Bytown Militaria Collectors Association meeting in this week`s edition (12 March 2012) of e-veritas (Canadian Military College`s alumni journal). http://everitas.rmcclub.ca/

E3161 Victoria Edwards, Class of ’03 presented on Military College insignia memorialized in various media (silk, silver, stone, stamps, stained glass) at the Bytown Militaria Collectors’ Association (BMCA) on Wednesday March 7. Her powerpoint slideshow and talk was based on her ongoing research as a staff writer for e-Veritas for which she was awarded the RMC Club President’s Award.

16147 Brett Stewart, Class of ’87 brought his collection of Royal Roads Military College uniforms, badges, yearbook, album, memory box, and photos for the show-and-tell part at the (March) monthly meeting of the Bytown Militaria Collectors’ Association last week in Ottawa.

The Bytown Militaria Collectors’ Association (BMCA) meets at the Warrant Officers’ & Sergeants Mess GGFG/CHofO WOs and Sgts Mess which is INSIDE Cartier Square Drill Hall, 2 Queen Elizabeth Driveway in Ottawa, Ontario on the first Wednesday of each month (except Jul and Aug) at 19.30 hrs. A number of BMCA members are either serving or ex-military, or work for DND. BMCA members share an interest in all things militaria and bring militaria in for the show-and-tell part of the meeting.

Artefacts of note during the BCMA members show and tell include:
• a tea tray with RMC arms and Truth Duty Valour valour carved by Sgt Middleton, who was on staff at RMC during the 1920s. Sgt Middleton carved single and multiple picture frames, trays, and boxes, with the RMC arms and motto.
• several framed cartoons by the late 1958 Brigadier-General (Ret`d) Alan Connelly (RMC 1927) ‘I do not choose to run’ Coolidge and ‘That damnet spot’, are both signed A.B. Connelly 1958. BGen Connelly passed away on 7,18,1991.
• a collection of RMC cap badges and helmet plates (Queen Victoria Crown & King’s Crown),

Tags
cmr, rmc, rrmc