British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-05-21, 04:22 PM

No idea, Tim, what the "THE" signifies; I am not any sort of expert in this stuff, but thanks for the answer.

All the best

William
Old 18-05-21, 09:59 AM

Hi

A friend of mine suggested writing to them as he had bought some nice original miniature medals from them.

I did and received a letter, sent surface mail when this was still an option, urging me to contact them (urgently!) and they would be happy to produce any medal I wanted.....

I did however end up with a nice period "Waziristan 1925" medal that had been bought by the above friend. I may even have one of their catalogues lurking around here...
Old 18-05-21, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Prompted by recent posts I am attempting to collate information on and pictures of British Army anodised aluminium cap badges produced by M AZAM & SONS of Lahore, Pakistan.

There are a number of threads and posts on the Forum going back to 2009 enquiring about these badges. Identification was not always conclusive, but I have included information and photos from some of the previous posts.

The AZAM badges are (usually) found in cast aluminium with a rich dark gold colour and grainy frontal finish. Some have sliders but most have two ‘tombstone’ shaped flat alloy lugs with drilled holes which only thin gauge wire cotter pins will fit.

The AZAM catalogues dating from the mid 1970s clearly indicate that “metalic or silver anodized gold cap badges can be supplied at reduced prices……' price per cap badge was from 30 pence!

Although made for collectors and obvious copies it also seems that badges were ordered by British Army units when MOD provision was not possible due to cost or small quantities required. This might particularly have been the case for Bands and Corps of Drums helmet badges and also regimental arm or belt buckle badges.

In his book “No Bull” Chris Marsh describes the badge construction and outlines the history of the AZAM company on page 151.

So far I have noted the following badges as probable AZAM products: (* = photo in album here https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=4318)

Queen’s Own Highlanders (one part badge) *
Royal Regiment of Fusiliers (not too sure) *
Devon and Dorset Regiment (with slider) *
16th/5th Lancers (all silver KC) *
West Yorkshire Regiment (with J.R.GAUNT LONDON marked slider) *
Gloucestershire Regiment (cap and back badge) *
Seaforth Highlanders (5th Bn) *
Cameron Highlanders *
Liverpool Scottish *
Duke of Lancaster’s Own Yeomanry *
Royal Army Chaplain’s Department (shown in ‘No Bull’ page 193)
King’s Royal Rifle Corps (KC Black) *
Connaught Rangers *
8th King’s Royal Irish Hussars (QC) *
REME *

Also reported but no photo seen:

Lovat Scouts
King’s Own Scottish Borderers
Royal Munster Fusiliers

Grateful for comments and pictures of badges in member’s collections which I will add into my album for future reference.

Tim
Have just seen their note in the catalogue "post your letters by airmail" and would add to this "and we will reply by surface mail"....as they did when I wrote to them!