British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-01-19, 05:12 PM

Default Some recent acquisitions for comment

I'm always on the lookout for unusual insignia in photographs and attach some recent finds for observations and comments.

The first photo shows a WWI pilot serving with the Air Defence Cadet Corps, the second a soldier of the 44th Searchlight Regiment, RE which was converted from 4th Bn, The Leicestershire Regiment.

The next shows a Gunner officer in service dress, clearly photographed in WW2 wearing the Royal Flying Corps wings he earned in the First World War, a practice frowned on by the RAF.

The Royal Army Pay Corps soldier is unusual as he has both a metal shoulder title and a cloth arm title.

Lastly is a possible Volunteer Training Corps soldier photographed in London. His cap badge is indistinct but he is clearly wearing a cloth arm title which appears to read "N. Volunt…". Anyone any ideas on his possible unit?

Observations welcome.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ADCC.jpg (33.6 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg Leics RA.jpg (33.3 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg RA RFC wings.jpg (30.6 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg RAPC 1.jpg (32.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg RAPC 2.jpg (37.0 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg VTC 1.jpg (48.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg VTC cap.jpg (89.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg VTC arm.jpg (46.1 KB, 92 views)
Old 24-01-19, 06:09 PM

Last three are very very interesting. Will find my link
Old 24-01-19, 06:14 PM

See my photos album Norfolk volunteer regt
Old 24-01-19, 06:29 PM

Interesting. Thanks for commenting.

There appears to be some dispute on the Forum as to whether the title is that of the Norfolk Volunteer Regiment or the National Volunteer Reserve. The photo was taken in London so Norfolk does seem a stretch. Worth some more digging methinks.

Jon
Old 24-01-19, 07:21 PM

Default nvr title

heres the link
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...onal+volunteer
Old 24-01-19, 07:30 PM

your photo clearly show that the collar and straps are a different colour to the jacket, shame the cap badge is not clear.

Like the 1915 date aswell, it all helps .

Would love the photo if you ever decide you have had enough of it
Old 29-01-19, 04:01 PM

Over 1800 views and just one comment! Are they that boring?

Jon
Old 30-01-19, 12:10 AM

Jon,

N VOLUNTEER R= National Volunteer Reserve, nothing to do with Norfolk.
A similar title, with cap badge was sold last week in a provincial auction house amongst a lot of tut- sadly I didn't win as the p&p was prohibitive to Australia.

Stephen.
Old 30-01-19, 10:05 AM

My observations would be, without knowing the identity of the man concerned, a serving RA officer who had merely been seconded to the RFC during the Great War and entitled to wear his flying badge as a result, he may not have ever actually served in the Royal Air Force, he looks remarkably young to be photographed during the Second World War.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
I'm always on the lookout for unusual insignia in photographs and attach some recent finds for observations and comments.

The next shows a Gunner officer in service dress, clearly photographed in WW2 wearing the Royal Flying Corps wings he earned in the First World War, a practice frowned on by the RAF.

Observations welcome.

Jon
Old 30-01-19, 11:15 AM

Frank,

Thanks for the comment. My caption was perhaps misleading and I could of course be wrong. The general look of the photo - it's undated - is 1930s/1940s and at that period even if you had qualified as a pilot in the RFC the only pattern of wing you were entitled to wear was that of the RAF. The extract from my forthcoming book below explains.

"Although not a rank badge the Army fought a long battle to control the wearing of Royal Air Force flying badges. Initially restricted to officers, in June 1940 ‘the privilege of wearing the regulation flying badge’ was permitted to Army officers and ORs who had qualified for it ‘under regulations in force…in the Royal Flying Corps, Royal Naval Air Service or RAF’, the badge to be worn ‘the pattern current in the RAF’ and not that of the Royal Flying Corps."

Jon
Old 30-01-19, 01:45 PM

Hello Jon,
I suspect that particular flying badge is a contemporary one and very different from the examples subsequently produced during the Second World War for use by those who had originally qualified for them prior to the formation of the Royal Air Force and had once again found themselves back in uniform.
I also think he would have continuous service from the Great War through to the day the photograph was actually taken to include any secondment to the RFC.
I would be very surprised, given the appearance of this officer and his rank, if the photograph was taken after 1920's, but, as his identity is unknown, it is difficult to do anything other than speculate.
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
Frank,

Thanks for the comment. My caption was perhaps misleading and I could of course be wrong. The general look of the photo - it's undated - is 1930s/1940s and at that period even if you had qualified as a pilot in the RFC the only pattern of wing you were entitled to wear was that of the RAF. The extract from my forthcoming book below explains.

"Although not a rank badge the Army fought a long battle to control the wearing of Royal Air Force flying badges. Initially restricted to officers, in June 1940 ‘the privilege of wearing the regulation flying badge’ was permitted to Army officers and ORs who had qualified for it ‘under regulations in force…in the Royal Flying Corps, Royal Naval Air Service or RAF’, the badge to be worn ‘the pattern current in the RAF’ and not that of the Royal Flying Corps."

Jon