British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-03-08, 10:21 PM

It is that group, you are right to say that veterans pick up bits post their actual service. My feeling with Sjt Janes MM is that he kept much of his original stuff, the cap badge certainly has wear in keeping with a hard life stuffed into a large pack or tunic.

I'll post some of my Examples over the next few days.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba Jabba View Post
Hi Mark,

Would that be the 1/5th grouping you aquired from eBay with trench club? If I remember correctly does that group not have a very good close-up portrait photo of the cap badge?

One always has to be very careful with veteran obtained items. Sometimes they are not always items obtained during their time in the service, they can be aquired from places like old comrades meetings.

Sadly in all of my period postcards of the regiment the holes (if there are any are any) are almost impossible to see. I`ll bet the none voided crown badges were re-issued from regimental stores for WW2.
Old 25-03-08, 07:18 PM

Default WW1 Sherwood Foresters

This badge came in the effects of Sjt A Janes MM of 1/5th Bn Sherwood Foresters, note the wide crown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nd1.jpg (53.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg nd11.jpg (23.8 KB, 32 views)
Old 25-03-08, 07:22 PM

Default Void Crowns

Two more with void crowns, the first appears to be a softer metal and is well rubbed, the second a much harder brass and white metal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nd2.jpg (33.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg nd22.jpg (27.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg nd3.jpg (36.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg nd33.jpg (28.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 25-03-08, 07:24 PM

Default Restrike?

I believe this to be a copy restrike, note the poor quality striking on the scroll.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nd4.jpg (70.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg nd44.jpg (54.8 KB, 32 views)
Old 27-04-08, 04:02 PM

I have two Sherwood Foresters badges found on the Somme (see my avatar) and the one I recovered from Gommecourt has voided crown. The slider is slightley tapered and extends no more than 3 mm below the scroll.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008_0419Collection0002 (Small).JPG (31.1 KB, 43 views)
Old 27-04-08, 04:05 PM

And here is it before recovery as found.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008_0322Collection0060 (Small).JPG (63.9 KB, 58 views)
Old 27-04-08, 04:19 PM
Badge Guru

You certainly cannot beat that one TRT! So it would appear both were worn during WW1.
Old 28-06-08, 02:36 PM

Question Sherwood Foresters - need help

Hi guys,

Wonder if you can help? I have a photograph of my grandfather, Fred Booth, taken just before WW2 wearing the dress or parade uniform of the Sherwood Foresters. I can clearly see the cap badge so I am sure of the regiment, but he has a pair of collar badges which look a bit like exploding grenades - would that be right? He has one chevron strip on his right arm - would that mean he was a corporal?

Also, I have no idea what his regimental number was - would the regimental museum be able to help?

These must sound like the questions of a complete novice, but I've got to start somewhere! Thanks in advance

Mike Booth
Old 28-06-08, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBooth View Post
Hi guys,

Wonder if you can help? I have a photograph of my grandfather, Fred Booth, taken just before WW2 wearing the dress or parade uniform of the Sherwood Foresters. I can clearly see the cap badge so I am sure of the regiment, but he has a pair of collar badges which look a bit like exploding grenades - would that be right? He has one chevron strip on his right arm - would that mean he was a corporal?

Also, I have no idea what his regimental number was - would the regimental museum be able to help?

These must sound like the questions of a complete novice, but I've got to start somewhere! Thanks in advance

Mike Booth
Hi Mike,

I'm probably not the person to answer this as I don't collect collar badges nor am a uniform expert but I'll have a bash and I'm sure someone will correct me if mistaken.

Collars for the Sherwood Forresters in WW1 were I believe brass and the maltese cross with the stag inside surmounted by a KC i.e. the same as the cap badge barring the title scroll.

As for the stripe - its position on the arm and direction is important, if mid arm facing downwards then it's a lance corporal's stripe, if more towards the cuff and facing upwards then its a good conduct stripe.

Cheers,

Luke
Old 28-06-08, 04:33 PM

Thanks Luke - have checked and the chevron stripe is above his elbow and pointing down so I guess he was a lance corporal.

Have had another look at the collar badges but they are not very clear - still looks a bit like a grenade and not the maltese cross ...

I think when the war started grandad was put into an anti-aircraft searchlight unit, which I think would make him one of the Robin Hoods battalion of the SFs...

Thanks anyway

Mike