British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-06-08, 10:45 PM

Default RMF badge on ebay

Noted this badge (ebay180255534534) and several aspects look good, but I dont recognize this particular design of tiger. Any other opinions? Thanks and cheers!

CB
Old 26-06-08, 09:50 AM

CB

There were several RMF dies but you're right it is an unusual one and from a die I don't believe I've seen before. It looks very fresh on the back for an 80 year old badge and the slider is not in keeping with those seen on other badges of this regiment which I have seen, having said that it could be due to manufacturers variation. The braze holes are in a bit of an odd position also. Personally I don't particularly like that slider the taper looks too severe and starts too high up IMO a bit like the early restrike sliders.

I can't say for definite either way with that badge but if I was after one I'd let it pass as its not a badge I'd be sure of or happy with in my collection - ebay's Leighbuzzly has one atm which looks OK from the front and from a more orthodox die.

I'd be interested in John's opinion, he's your main man when it comes to Irish stuff.

Luke
Old 26-06-08, 10:56 AM

Luke

you are too kind, I would hardly call myself the main man (there is more I do not know that I actually do know).

CB

I am skeptical about this badge, these days I approach all badges as probably fakes and try to find aspects to convince me that they are genuine.

I have seen several die versions of this badge and all the sweat holes are rectangular or oval (Steve in NZ has a nice set).

Here is what I do not like about this one.

1. The sweat holes are circular and only on the top of the tiger. All others I have seen to date are oval or rectangular and generally are on the scroll/ground as well. Circular sweat holes are the easiest to fake, it would be intereting to hold this once close up to see if they are counter sunk or show any other signs of drilling.

2. There appears to be a flashing (hard to tell for sure with the photo) around the tiger or a (tiger outline) depression in the grenade where the tiger is seated. I have had a fake with this feature (without sweat holes - see below)

These in conjunction with Luke's observations make me doubtful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rmf front.jpg (59.0 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 26-06-08 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Added comments to point no. 1
Old 26-06-08, 03:16 PM

Thanks much all! I had the same feeling regarding the sweat holes as well. This badge is certainly not one of the commonly seen fakes, but as has been noted, is not quite right either.
Me thinks to give it a pass.

CB
Old 26-06-08, 08:36 PM

Smile Munsters badge

The one thing that is definitely wrong is Lukes date, the RMF were disbanded in 1922, thats 86 years ago and I would think genuine RMF badges were made well before that date, unless it was the anodised version I saw some twenty years ago!