British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-01-18, 07:33 PM

Default Medically Unfit badge

I picked this badge up from a dealer friend a few years ago. We both knew it was a good badge but neither of us knew anymore than what it obviously states ie that the wearer was medically unfit for military service. I'm guessing WW1, but I wonder if anyone knows the country of manufacture, whether it was official and what the R stands for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_9015.jpg (48.3 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg 100_9016.jpg (33.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 100_9017.jpg (30.2 KB, 36 views)
Old 12-01-18, 08:21 PM

Hi

what an interesting badge. I can't help sadly, but I will say, the garter at the bottom does resemble the Canadian 48th Bttn CEF regiments (15th, 92nd, 134th)
My pic is a bit blurry, but I'm sure you get the idea. So could it be Canadian? Or Scottish linked?

I hope someone can come along with an answer

Cheers, Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9397.jpg (62.9 KB, 29 views)
Old 12-01-18, 08:36 PM

A very nice badge. Not seen anything like it i have to say.
Andy
Old 12-01-18, 09:14 PM

I would suggest either 'Reserve' or 'Recruitment' but that is total guess work. I like the badge, very unusual slider.
Old 12-01-18, 10:04 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

There is an example of this exact badge on sale at mindenmilitaria.com.....but as Rod says, he has never seen this badge before!!!! Intriguing and it would be nice if someone could enlighten us. I agree with you Tim that the garter does point towards it possibly be Canadian.
Old 12-01-18, 10:57 PM

He has no idea what it is, but he certainly values it high enough
Old 12-01-18, 11:26 PM

It is not a garter but an annulus, see here: http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ead.php?t=1700
Not specifically Canadian, but a general heraldic device, regularly seen in for instance Scottish clan badges.

Rgds, Thomas
Old 13-01-18, 07:41 AM

Thanks Thomas, that's a helpful clarification.

CharlieDog, thanks for hunting that down, I saw Minden also has a similar shaped and slidered badge for "Government Contract Employees" Which may be simply the same maker rather than an other connection, but interesting.

Phil, Reserve or Recruit also makes sense, it may be similar to the Canadian and Australian Medically unfit badges given to recruits who failed to pass medicals, as a recognition for their attempt to enlist. Possibly in the UK it was not centralised, and this may be a badge made specifically for a small area or district? in any event, your right, it's a big price for an unknown badge.

Chat, what are the dimensions? Would the thick slider fit in a button hole? i.e. could it be a lapel badge? or is it too big?

Cheers, Tim
Old 14-01-18, 12:34 PM

Default Medically unfit badge

Yes, I would think a button hole badge. Very many thanks to every one who has advised me on this badge. And a special thank you to BJ at RBJ Militaria who sold it me.
Old 15-02-19, 02:39 AM

Just viewed the reverse pic. As it is "hollow backed" like a cap badge, it could have been produced in some numbers but they clearly aren't turning up these days....
Old 15-02-19, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
Reserve or Recruit also makes sense, it may be similar to the Canadian and Australian Medically unfit badges given to recruits who failed to pass medicals, as a recognition for their attempt to enlist.
Found an article about the official Canadian badges :

Quote:
Although a Committee on War Service Badges had recommended on 27 October 1939 that two badges be established; a SERVICE badge for those voluntarily attested for active service beyond Canada and a RESERVE badge for those medically exempt (among other reasons); that recommendation was not acted upon.
An "authorized" badge was made in 1941 but perhaps the one posted was an earlier regional/unofficial one.

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remem...ons/details/34
Old 17-02-19, 07:42 PM

Hi

Interesting post. That fitting (should we call it a "spoon" fitting, as opposed to a "half moon" style?) is quite an old one. My Defenders of Ladysmith Assoc doesn't have that style after all but several other badges that I have (dating from a pre-WW1 period definitely do.
OK, fittings can be changed but this looks pretty untouched.