British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-11-08, 06:01 PM

Default The kings own

hi. just spotted this on ebay (item 380084881212 ),a strange set up of small slider off the title, and single loop in centre of lion, any ideas as to what it is ?
Old 26-11-08, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

That type of fixing is seen on some Officers cap badges circa WW1.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ies%26_fvi%3D1

I have moved this thread from the Canadian section as it is a British regiment.

Alan
Old 26-11-08, 06:34 PM

would these have just been converted or privately made,as i have never come across this before,also using the print preview to blow the picture up more i see there is no sign of the tabs i thought were use to join the two parts of the badge together . iain
Old 26-11-08, 08:01 PM

This is the first such badge I have ever seen. Not only is it white metal, but the tiny slider and lug are most unusual. As Alan mentioned, I seem to recall seeing such a set up on some badge in the past, but am not sure.
I dont know what to make of this particular badge as it is not what is normally seen for officer's badges of this regiment. Will be interested to here more.
As an aside, this seller often has very good badges, but as always, care must taken as an occaisional bad one crops up from time to time.

CB
Old 26-11-08, 08:12 PM

I've seen quite a few before in the Bosley's catalogues, usually on Officers' badges. I think loop and tab is the terminology.
Old 27-11-08, 01:02 PM

I have had a couple with this fixing, many years ago. In fact I sold one to David Douglas before he was banned but the tab was smaller. I was told that this type of fixing was found on officers badges from the early 1900's and it was soon dropped as unsuccessful.
Regards

Steve