British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-11-08, 04:56 PM

Default Badge blackening

KLR,
Having looked through "The Armourer" I can't see the reference to the burnt rope and creosote blackening. Put it down to looking at too many Military magazines and old age!
Old 23-11-08, 05:58 PM

Default Blackened Glamorgan Yeomanry

Here is an example of a genuinley blackened badge to the Glamorgan Yeomanry.
This unit embarked with the South Wales Mounted Brigade on the 5th March 1916 for Alexandria after a period of home service.
Whilst in Egypt it became one half of the 24th Welch Regiment and remained in Egypt until transfer to France in May 1918.
This example shows the earlier partial erasure of the 'Imperial' from the central title scroll and is not dirty but has been deliberately blackened.
I also have a blackened small pattern SWB and a blackened Monmouthshire example. All are O.R's patterns. These last of course can be linked to their previous rifles existance but the Glam Yeo cannot.
By the way, those previous contributors who have stated that you can no longer obtain creosote are correct. Our beloved H&S have banned its use.
Cofion,
Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Badges 035.jpg (82.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Badges 036.jpg (80.2 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by 41st; 14-12-08 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 23-11-08, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
Sonof ...
I'd be very grateful if you could find me the reference to the Armourer article on the 20th Hussar blackening.
Julian
The soldier concerned was a 14th Hussar in Mesopotamia, but joined the 20th after the war. I can track down the issues of The Armourer if you're still interested.
Old 23-11-08, 09:35 PM

41st, thanks for the interesting photos, it looks as though the badge has been dipped into the blackening, probably the fastest way to do a whole load of badges.

Bill.
Old 24-11-08, 08:39 AM

All issued Australian badges during WWll (and WWl for that matter) were blackened as an aid to camouflage.

I am surprised to hear that was not standard procedure in the British Army.

I supposed they still wore red coats, polished brass buttons and blancoed belts into combat.
Old 24-11-08, 01:26 PM

Lettman, yes please, secondary sources may help me find the primaries, many thanks,

Sarmajor, do you have any (official) references for this (the Aussie badges rather than the red coats !) thanks

Julian
Old 24-11-08, 07:42 PM

Here's another blackened badge for you to look at, although most of it has gone !! I have heard talk of badges being blackened when the King died, has anyone else heard of this before ?? Wilf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img718.jpg (66.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg img719.jpg (78.4 KB, 34 views)
Old 24-11-08, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Wilf,

That is a rather nice 1916-18 economy badge. Not likely to have been worn as late as 1936. The pink stuff on the back is polish (Brand name of Soldiers' Friend).

Alan
Old 24-11-08, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
Lettman, yes please, secondary sources may help me find the primaries, many thanks,

Sarmajor, do you have any (official) references for this (the Aussie badges rather than the red coats !) thanks

Julian
Julian,
The series was called 'With a 14th Hussar through Mesopotamia 1916-18' and was in 4 parts in The Armourer issues 83, 84, 85, 86 (2007-08). It was based on the papers and diaries of R E Holland, whose army career was 20th Hussars 1912-14, 14th Hussars 1914-18, and 19th Hussars 1918-21.

I don't know that you'll find much in the way of uniform and insignia details, but there's plenty about the day-to-day miseries of campaigning.
Old 14-12-08, 02:49 PM

I have noticed that a couple of WW1 shoulder titles i have are both blackened, 20th Lancs Fusiliers and 18th West Yorks, both of which retain much of the blackening on both sides. I also remember seeing a 1st City Batt. Kings title which was blackened on both sides. I am wondering if blackening was common practice in WW1 and also why more badges of the period dont show signs of this, even with subsequent cleaning i would have thought some would remain on the reverse. Any thoughts?, would appreciate anyone having a Liverpool Pals shoulder title commenting on blackening of theirs or not.

Bill.

Last edited by mtrpltpara; 14-12-08 at 04:31 PM.
Old 14-12-08, 03:35 PM

no blackening on any of my Liverpool Pals titles but the attached Liverpool Scottish title has been blackened at some stage.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF9241.jpg (33.0 KB, 18 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 14-12-08, 06:25 PM

When I was in training with The North Staffords in 1958 we were show, on exercise , how to blacken our badges by burning the foam packing out of ammo boxes. I would assume that this was an up-dated method of doing something that was not an uncommon practice.I have never come across reference to a blackened NS badge but obviously at some time it had been done.
Old 14-12-08, 08:24 PM

Two points

1. I have a Leeds pals badge that has clearly been blackened at some stage. It is 100 % original and quite obviously blackened. All gone from the front but on the rear very clear. I suspect that it was blackened for service in Egypt and then polished in France.

2. Were all oficers collar badges bronzed or were some gilt and blackened. I have seen photos where some are clearly subdued but others shine?

Would be interested to hear re point two.

Thanks

TRT
Old 14-12-08, 10:12 PM

An interesting 'aside' here......have been re-reading the book "1914" by Lyn MacDonald . In the earlier chapters there are a couple of notes worth mentioning.
From dicussions/recollections of Major Tom Bridges , C sqn 4th DG's,"....
the buckles & buttons, the gleaming spurs, even the sword hilts had been blackened for War Service, but they were still a fine sight...." (Mons to Brussels road, France 1914).
Another comment earlier is a little odd........"transport men were busy with whitewash brushes and buckets of permanganate darkening the coats of light-coloured horses to camouflage them for active service in France."( Temporary horse lines in GB, 1914 )
This was evidently as instructed by the 'War Book' (a special Official reference book, with complete instructions for all services, Military & Civil ,in case of War)

Cheers !
Steve

Last edited by dragonz18; 14-12-08 at 11:00 PM.
Old 21-12-08, 01:27 AM

Hopefully we will have more input to this thread, it is very interesting. Here is a machine gunners badge, blackened on both sides.
Bill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m gunner.JPG (29.3 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by mtrpltpara; 22-12-08 at 10:47 PM.