British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-06-09, 05:33 PM
Former Member

Default Question: Canadian Grenadier Guards

Gentlemen,
do the Canadian Gren Gds have a similar system with their badges as their British sister Regiment? That is that junior ranks wear a plain balled grenade and only the senior NCOs have the monarchs cypher? I obtained a number of Canadian badges amongst which was the badge shown below! The flame pattern is more similar to the Canadian than the British patterns?

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG8077.jpg (44.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG8076.jpg (58.1 KB, 58 views)
Old 17-06-09, 08:04 PM

The CGG have only one approved badge for OR's. It features the Sovereign's 'logo' of ER but intertwined with a mirror image and topped with a Crown. Recently, the CGG have been 'playing' with their badge and Sr. NCO's have been seen sporting the badge with a silver overlay to the "ER". In discussions with DHH 2 weeks ago this is not aproved. Officers in the CGG wear a wire-embroidered grenade.
Old 17-06-09, 09:27 PM

As I remember when I worked with some a few years back SNCOs were wearing multi-piece badges, but all bronze/brass. Most officers do seem to wear the wire badges, but I seem to remember multi-piece, bi-metal ones as well. Would have to confirm this mind you.
Old 18-06-09, 03:01 AM

Andy: The only plain grenade Canadian cap badge is that of the Winnipeg Grenadiers, but the one you picture doesn't match. Flames on the W.G.'s badge are asymmetrical; higher at the left and lower but trailing wider to the right, 20+ points, and the grenade 'neck' is almost non-existent. If you don't recognize it as British, and it's not Canadian, maybe another Commonwealth country?
Old 18-06-09, 12:07 PM

Excuse me Gentlemen to intrude in the discussion. From the Wm.Scully files, the badge of the Winnipeg Grenadiers.
Jo
http://www.williamscully.ca/gallery2...Grenadiers.jpg

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 18-06-09, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Jo, Thanks for the link. That image is an incredibly bad example of the Winnipeg Grenadiers badge. Note the "neck" appears to be cropped, and the off centre tilt to the flames. It appears that the badge was a mis-strike, or at least a very poor striking.
Somewhere I have been given the idea that the different grenadier regiments have a specific number of flames on the grenade for that regiment. I don't know the number for the Winnipeg Grenadiers or Canadian Grenadier Guards.

Last edited by Bill A; 18-06-09 at 01:45 PM.
Old 18-06-09, 12:57 PM

Then another one, from the Marway files.
Jo
http://www.marway-militaria.com/ca81.jpg

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 18-06-09, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Jo, Isn't that example from Marways much better than the Scully example? One would almost think the one from Scully's was a reject.
Old 18-06-09, 01:49 PM

Yes Bill, this one is a better example. Does this mean that some mis-strike were NOT rejected and sent anyway to the unit ??? If we were to check all and every badges made by Scully, I'm sure we would find some flawed ones that passed unnoticed by the employee in charge of quality control. Also, was there a rush during war-time to expedite as fast as possible the order to the units so that everyone had a cap badge ???

Jo

Old 18-06-09, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

The likelyhood of imprefect examples making it into the hands of soldiers is very high. However, the RSM may have taken exception to these badges. It would suck to be the fellow handed the crappy badge, and then be brunt of discipline. More likely, it would not be noticed, or as you say, it was not of enough importance to matter in the day to day scheme of things.

Last edited by Bill A; 28-07-09 at 11:04 PM.
Old 18-06-09, 02:13 PM

I would pity the poor Private being blasted by the RSM, but, he could always say that he was issued this badge by the RQMS and to him, a badge is a badge.....
Jo

Old 22-06-09, 01:18 PM
Former Member

Question Canadian Grenadier Guards

Gentlemen,
many thanks for all of your replies and posts. I am still not convinced that Canadian Grenadier Guards ORs have "never" worn a plain balled Grenade (I am more than happy that in more recent years all ranks have worn a cyphered Grenade), shown below is a George 5th Pattern SNCO (OR?) badge and also a plain balled grenade with a very similar flame pattern. Also a link to the badges shown here in the Forums Canadian Badge Forum, I may be proved wrong, but I suspect that back in the GvR era (1910-36) ORs may have worn a plain Grenade!

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/can...ards/index.htm

Andy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG8287.jpg (52.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG8288.jpg (65.0 KB, 30 views)
Old 28-07-09, 09:11 PM

Default Plain Grenade!

You are right Andy - the 245th CEF Canadian Grenadier Guards wore a plain grenade (Charlton ref. 245A) - I have a nice example by J.R. Gaunt Montreal.
Cheers, Ian.
Old 28-07-09, 09:17 PM
Former Member

Ian,
can you post a photo of front and rear and would you also be happy for me to add to my Grenadier Album as a reference to others as there seem to be a lot who doubt there was such a badge? I would of course give you full credit!

Andy
Old 28-07-09, 09:17 PM
Former Member

Ian,
"Rude ME!!!" I forgot to say thank you very much for your reply!

Andy