British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-09-23, 05:21 PM

Default WW1 Royal Flying Corps Slip On Cloth Title - Opinions Please !

I bought the slip on title pictured below earlier today from a "non military" antiques dealer. It was the only military item that he had in stock. It is smaller than other WW1 period slip on titles that I have encountered. I have no reason to believe it to be a fake but would welcome the thoughts of the forum membership. The backing is some kind of waxed paper type of material. Will be offered for sale.

Thanks in advance Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0467.jpg (57.4 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0468.jpg (64.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0469.jpg (43.5 KB, 35 views)
Old 01-09-23, 06:32 PM

Hello Paul,

I don’t believe it’s Royal Flying Corps, they did wear a short form title but it was not like yours.

Photo of the known RFC short form title attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2245.jpeg (50.2 KB, 20 views)
Old 01-09-23, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insignia View Post
Hello Paul,

I don’t believe it’s Royal Flying Corps, they did wear a short form title but it was not like yours.

Photo of the known RFC short form title attached.
Thanks for the reply, I've never seen another khaki RFC slip on before (either genuine or known fake) hence my question. If it's not Royal Flying Corps what could it possibly be ?

Paul
Old 03-09-23, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc14 View Post
Thanks for the reply, I've never seen another khaki RFC slip on before (either genuine or known fake) hence my question. If it's not Royal Flying Corps what could it possibly be ?

Paul
I don’t think that it’s necessarily a fake Paul. As you might well know the woven worsted titles with off-white lettering on a drab patch were pattern sealed in the early Summer of 1916 and gradually issued through the supply chain. They went through a few modifications in use. The first type had two tapes on the back to slip over the shoulder strap but these did not prove resilient enough and were replaced by a second pattern with a full sleeve. Finally an order was issued in 1917 that they should instead be stitched to the upper arm just below the curve of the shoulder seam. There were some small variations in the supply such as e.g. plain block letters without serifs and the KRRC had one in red letters on rifle green as well as that in drab. In the last 18-months of the war there were a variety of brightly coloured stitch on versions for such as the London Regiment battalions and the Guards Machine Gun Regiment. Looking at your RFC example the lettering is slightly curved and so would have been yet another variation that would work well appearance wise both as a slip on and when stitched to the upper arm. However, the fact that variations existed didn’t necessarily mean that they were issued and used. Disliked badges could often remain in their boxes on the shelves in quartermaster’s stores and remain there for years. Something that I’ve experienced personally. If it were a fake intended for collectors I’d expect it to follow the standard pattern.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 03-09-23 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-09-23, 08:47 AM

Thank you for your response Toby. What you are saying makes sense to me.

Paul