British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-04-12, 06:19 AM

Default MNBDO - Marines - Iceland

Thanks to a new member I have acquired a badge for my collection - which I am hoping is what he thinks it is - and opinions on that I would welcome from forum members experienced in WWII formation signs

As you can see it is the polar bear with lowered head (which I have seen on early 49th signs - and which I am told is MNBDO symbol) - over RM Corps colours.

The patch is almost exactly 2" in diameter and Mike says (from pictures) would appear proper construction/materials for WWII.

The belief is that it was a patch created and worn by Y Battery RM in MNBDO in Iceland.

All comments welcome

Aye Yours
Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bear Y.jpg (42.5 KB, 64 views)
Old 04-04-12, 06:48 AM

For the record - this is the opinion that I offered:

I think the point is that the sign illustrated - which I believe to have been made up as a one-off, possibly as a souvenir or by an Icelandic girlfriend - is the sign of the MNBDO. I think it's probably a contemporary piece (as opposed to Pakistan made 2012!) There is no evidence that I am aware of to indicate that this was worn on uniform. I don't dispute that Y Bty RM may have been in 1 MNBDO.

I'd very much like to see other examples of a cloth MNBDO sign and photographic evidence that it was worn on uniform.
Old 04-04-12, 07:08 AM

Default MNBDO badge

It is certainly illustrated on page 95 of Formation badges of WWII by Cole. I have never seen one before and I have no reason to think yours is anything but genuine, thanks for showing, John.
Old 04-04-12, 07:54 AM

The late John Bailey covers this badge in his paper on Royal Marines cloth insignia for WW2.
He also had a specimen in his collection, but the feedback he got from former members of the MNBDO was they never saw it before.
They did not wear it or did they ever see it worn but the sign was used on documents, Christmas cards, and painted on vehicles.

John
Old 04-04-12, 08:08 AM

This is very interesting as my father was MNBDO2 during WW2 and I thought I knew of any badges he might have worn since he joined RMLI in 1918 until invalided out in 1944 after being damaged by a shell in Italy, but I have not come across this one before.

Regards

John
Old 04-04-12, 12:04 PM

Default MNBDO

This is the sign of MNBDO 2 as recorded on a board showing most Middle East Command signs, painted by two RE signwriters in 1946. It reflects the fact that MNBDO 2 did serve in the Middle East. For interest, the hitherto unrecorded sign of MNBDO 1 is also here:
Badge_06.jpg Badge_05.jpg
Old 04-04-12, 12:48 PM

Thanks Mike, that fills a gap in my knowledge.

Regards,

John
Old 04-04-12, 01:32 PM

John Bailey quotes a reply he had from a former member of the MNBDO.
I did not wear the cloth badge or even see it, but I did however paint the corps colours with a white Polar bear on vehicles in Sicily in 1943.

John
Old 04-04-12, 02:04 PM

That's excellent - we really miss the excellent John Bailey's knowledge. Fortunately I kept every letter that he (and Len Whittaker) ever wrote me over 20 years.
Old 04-04-12, 03:15 PM

What a great thread - my Father was also MNBDO1 from Feb 1940 until it was disbanded then he was 5th RM AA Bde. He was one of the lucky ones that managed to escape from Crete. I have seen a war time HMSO publication about operations in Iceland and the formation sign of Corps colours and polar bear was illustrated. Can't remember if it was on battle dress or vehicles though. If I still have the book I'll post a scan.
Old 04-04-12, 03:18 PM

Dad in 1940 with newly acquired DR and Sigs trade badges - which I have along with his medals and cap badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DAD 1940-41.jpg (27.3 KB, 41 views)
Old 04-04-12, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonehouse boy View Post
The late John Bailey covers this badge in his paper on Royal Marines cloth insignia for WW2.
He also had a specimen in his collection, but the feedback he got from former members of the MNBDO was they never saw it before.
They did not wear it or did they ever see it worn but the sign was used on documents, Christmas cards, and painted on vehicles.

John
but you have to ask, did he ask them if they had served in Iceland, if not they most probibly did never see the formation sign being worn on B/D. or if they joined up after the unit returned from Iceland and changed their formation sign then no one who was not there would have seen it. I still think it is a genuine sign and would love to own one, John.
Old 04-04-12, 05:07 PM

For everyone else who never had a clue.

M.N.B.D.O. Mobile Naval Base Defence Organisation

Marc
Old 04-04-12, 08:03 PM

Hi John
The late John Bailey was a former Royal Marine and a keen collector of British
Military cloth insignia.
He was also a member of the Royal Marines Historical Society, he was asked by them to do a study of insignia worn by Royal Marines during WW2.
He was aided in this task by the Royal Marines Corps Historian, they looked
at insignia known to have been worn by Royal Marines. Also British Army insignia worn by Royal Marines when on attachment.
A pamphlet was produced and it was seen by former Royal Marines who added more information on what they wore in different units.
This badge was one that was queried and he said remained a mystery because he had a specimen in his collection but no members of the unit could recall this badge. And the way he has written this up makes me believe he did talk to some of the MNBDO who served in Iceland.

John
Old 01-07-12, 04:44 PM

Default HBL prefix

Gents
Does anyone know what HBL MNBDO was and details of them?

Also, any knowledge of what/where HAA (Anti-Aircraft) did in WWII

Both are quoted on an envelope posted from Antwerp in WWII and relate to a Marine (possibly a Commando) whose son-in-law is tryinf to get a history of for the family.

I presume both HAA & MNBDO would have been RM ranks and that if ever he became a Commando then it would have been later in the war?

Thanks
Ray