British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-09-23, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbear View Post
HMS tallies were worn for at least 3 decades after that! HMS tallies were worn by National Servicemen, who were under new entry training at Victoria Barracks Southsea (not to be confused with Victory Barracks that is now HMS Nelson!) during the 1950's, they were also worn by naval ratings on Ships Taken Up from Trade (STUFT's) and by ratings under sentence in the Portsmouth Detention Quarters, until it closed and sailors were sent to MTC Colchester. In the 1990's when the Royal William Yard Victualling depot closed in Plymouth, the market was flooded with HMS tallies that had come out the yard in bundles of 10 in a cardboard tube date stamped 1978. Many of these are now sold as "original" WW2 tallies.
Indeed, but as the thread only mentions the issue of "H.M.S." ribbons during WW2, that was the only information I supplied. Thank you for the extra information/correction though.

I have several of these bundles of ribbons stamped 1978 and also one of the original boxes that they came in. The date of 1978 is when they where last inspected and I suspect that they date from before that. Sadly my box has the original date covered, but I have a similar box with white cap covers dated 1955.

I also have a couple of still sealed bundles of "H.M.S." ribbons that are post 1984 (full weave across the back). Hopefully, I will find time to dig these items out and get some pictures at some point.
Old 04-09-23, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbear View Post
In the 1990's when the Royal William Yard Victualling depot closed in Plymouth, the market was flooded with HMS tallies
In fact, they where released onto the market well before that. I first came across them in that rather splendid surplus shop in Union Street in about 1984. He had bundles of them for sale. He also had stacks of the 1945 issue blue Ratings caps still in their paper bags. The shop was still there when I went to Raleigh in 1988, but I believe it has now long gone.....