British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-04-08, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faugh-A-Ballagh View Post
Would anyone be able to clarify for me what type of badge was actually worn by the 14th Rifles when they were in tthe British Army, and not the YCV? Was it a brass or a white metal one? I'm fairly sure that officers wore the normal RIR cord boss badge. (as well as many other regimental badges).
Another opinion to those already given is 'everything', anyone who has the Bramshot book which photo'd the entire battalion ( I tried to scan it but it turned out wick) should look at No.3 Platoon, they are wearing brass, white metal and even normal Royal Irish Rifles cap badges.
There is even some evidence that a blue cord boss badge existed with an officers collar badge in the middle ( I know a guy tried to make one and ruined the boss, serves him right). I also may have a photo somewhere of a normal ranker wearing an officers cap badge if anyone wants to see it. So a bit like Graham Norton.......anything goes.
[http://img254.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img094kh5.jpg]

Last edited by lol513; 11-04-08 at 05:55 PM.
Old 13-04-08, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol513 View Post
Most of the photo's listed by Tyneside are from my collection listed at http://www.lol513.com/lol513museum.html and while I dont mind people taking the photo's its pretty unfair to use my collection to make yourself an authority and rubbish someone elses.

Its a bit much to say 'Im an authority and everything else is wrong'.
Well, thanks for that. I have a large file of 1000's of images of badges of interest, as I'm sure most collectors have! When I posted the pictures I never said these are my badges because a lot of them are not.

As I have no commercial interest in reusing the images I had made no record of the originator of the photo, so could not credit you or your site. After looking up your link, I'll agree some of the UVF badge images have come from it. I presume by your stance the photo's used where taken by you. I apologize for not crediting you and will remove them from my posts.

The point being, I posted pictures of genuine badges that help with the subject of the thread. I think they worked quite well. The YCV and indeed the UVF are a much maligned entity thanks no doubt to the reputation of later carnations of users of the name. I'll happily post insignia if it helps promote the original UVF.

Please get your facts right. Nowhere on this thread have I ever said I am an authority and everything else is wrong. Though I did say correctly that I have collected UVF badges for over 40 years and have seen, held, bought and sold many examples...

That's why I do not mind that you say about my photo of Veteran John Boyd's cap and Badge.
"P.s I wouldnt give this badge the light of day."

If I didn't know the provenace I might feel the same way, most fat stalks are dodgy as I did mention.

Indeed my stance hasn't changed from that quoted below!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynesideirish View Post
Hey, If your happy with it thats what counts.... My opinion is just that!

But please do not throw your teddy in the corner because someone just happens to disagree with you.
GSTQ Brother. tynesideirish

Last edited by tynesideirish; 18-04-08 at 03:48 PM.
Old 26-07-08, 08:20 PM

Heres a couple i've had for years...what''s the members views?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ycv1.jpg (47.0 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg ycv1a.jpg (41.4 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg ycv2.jpg (48.7 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg ycv2a.jpg (62.7 KB, 134 views)
Old 27-07-08, 05:31 PM

Mark

I am not "an expert" in this battalion's badges, and you will see from the posts on this thread that opinion varies with those that know more than me with regards to this unit but they look good to me.

The shamrock stems are long and tapered - not short , The border is prominent . The point of attachment of the slider is higher than I have seen before but all in all they look good, I would be happy with them.

John

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 27-07-08 at 05:33 PM. Reason: added comment on slider attachment
Old 21-03-09, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

I am very confused by the whole thing - what do people think of this one?

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14ycv.JPG (12.6 KB, 146 views)