British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-08-10, 03:07 PM
Former Member

Default Royal Dublin Fusiliers - Guide to Some Variations of Construction!

The Royal Dubs often comes up as a "What do you think of this one!" So here is my guide to a few construction variations of Genuine badges (with one theatre made). Whilst it is always reassuring to have sweat holes, it is not always a bad sign if there are not (some times)!!

Picture 1 & 2 shows the six variations in my collection (Front and Back).

Picture 3 is a pre 1903 lugged example with two slotted sweat holes to the ball (filled with braze to difficult to make out!) and three more to the base scroll.

Picture 4 is a Theatre made (?) example a well made die cast badge with pinned overlays.

Picture 5 is IMO a First World War produced item, with the base scroll tagged to the ball with two sweat holes to the ball.

Picture 6 a solid backed example with two large circular sweat holes to the base scroll and two, much smaller to the ball.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG8339.jpg (44.0 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG8346.jpg (43.5 KB, 322 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG8340.jpg (39.8 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG8341.jpg (39.0 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG8342.jpg (36.3 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG8343.jpg (28.3 KB, 219 views)

Last edited by 2747andy; 15-08-10 at 03:18 PM.
Old 15-08-10, 03:11 PM
Former Member

Default Royal Dublin Fusiliers - Guide to Some Variations of Construction! - Continued..

Continued..

Picture 7 a slidered example with 3 slotted sweat holes to the base scroll and 2 to the ball.

Picture 8 another WW1 produced badge (IMO) again the base scroll is attached by tags but there is no sweat holes to the ball.

(Addition to thread)

Badge collecting can be like waiting for a bus "wait ages then a couple come at once!!"

Picture 9 & 10 another badge and variation which I obtained today. The ball has sweat holes but base scroll is overlaid without.

Hope this proves as some use!

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG8344.jpg (30.0 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG8345.jpg (30.4 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG8361.jpg (39.6 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG8362.jpg (37.5 KB, 110 views)

Last edited by 2747andy; 17-08-10 at 04:05 PM.
Old 15-08-10, 04:51 PM

Hi Andy,
Thanks for showing your RDF badge variations, very useful. I have the 3-lugged variety, and a couple of the slidered sweatholed variety. Also a tagged scroll one with no sweatholes, like your Picture 8, which is WW1 vintage.
Cheers, Tinto
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RDF.jpg (81.8 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg RDFrev.jpg (75.1 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by Tinto; 15-08-10 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 15-08-10, 05:09 PM

Default Royal Dublin Fusiliers Variations.

Hello Andy,
Thank you for this invaluable piece of info, it is much appreciated by me! Hope you will find the time to do other badge comparisons. All the best,

Pete.
Old 17-08-10, 10:33 AM

Andy

thanks for putting all of these together, it is a very useful reference. The 5th (Royal Irish) Lancers is another regiment that shows a similiar variation in construction techniques.

John
Old 27-10-10, 05:21 PM

I assume then this DRF is theater made with the pinning method.

Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (42.4 KB, 154 views)
Old 05-12-10, 06:30 PM

Heres another version on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 06-12-10, 06:27 PM

Simon, I think your's might be an officer's badge, these 'prongs' are commonly found on S&G badges. However, I can't see traces of blades or loops.
Old 06-12-10, 06:33 PM

I see the traces of the slider. The only reason I can think of the prongs is the chance that the white metal part is actually silver. I have an Northamptonshire officers in my infantry gallery that is pronged because the white metal part is silver.

Other than that, then a theater made one.
Old 23-05-12, 11:19 PM

After some months of collecting RDF insignia, I have been lucky to hoover few RDF badges and I would like to share these here as well.

First bronze badges

No.1 - OSD collar badge, what is converted to the cap badge. Probably theatre made. However, one source said as well that it can be early officer's cap badge.
No.2 - I presume it is OSD collar badge (1902-1922)
No.3 - I presume it is officer's cap badge

I am always looking early (pre 1939) British ribbon bars with foreign awards; interesting devices or just different construction solutions. Also I am seeking Royal Dublin Fusiliers items. I can help in small scale to research RDF soldiers (MICs, medal rolls, additional information, etc).
Old 23-05-12, 11:28 PM

Regular cap badges.

No.4 - with the "sweat holes", scroll is very "thin"
No.5 - One badge what I am sure it is 100% geniune - came from owner's family
No.6 - Victorian period cap badge with the hooks on the back

I am always looking early (pre 1939) British ribbon bars with foreign awards; interesting devices or just different construction solutions. Also I am seeking Royal Dublin Fusiliers items. I can help in small scale to research RDF soldiers (MICs, medal rolls, additional information, etc).
Old 23-05-12, 11:37 PM

Reproductions and copies (I think)
And I forgot to make a picture on the back

No.7 - stamped "J.R.Gaunt" on the slider. Missing "sweat holes". Collectors copy
No.8 - I presume it is from same cast, as badge No.7 - identical animals, same size scroll, missing "sweat holes", slider attached to the same place.
No.9 - not sure but missing "sweat holes", animals are done very crudely, etc. ADVISED BY OTHERS THAT IT IS ORIGINAL BADGE!

Last edited by phaethon; 24-05-12 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-09-12, 10:59 AM

My yesterday's find.

I think it is Boer war period cap badge (wide "flames").
Unfortunately scroll has been damaged and animals on the front are moved/details "washed" off.
Meantime I think it is prefect example regards "sweat holes" on the back and most interesting - on the slider there is a stamp "D", what I haven't seen before. Does anyone know is it for a soldier identification or maker stamp?

Old 02-09-12, 11:01 AM

Here is my progress regards of RDF cap badges.

Old 02-09-12, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaethon View Post
My yesterday's find.

I think it is Boer war period cap badge (wide "flames").
Unfortunately scroll has been damaged and animals on the front are moved/details "washed" off.
Meantime I think it is prefect example regards "sweat holes" on the back and most interesting - on the slider there is a stamp "D", what I haven't seen before. Does anyone know is it for a soldier identification or maker stamp?

Timo

sliders were first authorized for other ranks badge after the Boer War (c. 1902, when long sliders were authorized for fitting the new pattern (Brodrick) forage cap. Sliders were than ordered shortened in 1906 for the replacement forage cap which had a peak.

Also the Dubs other ranks cap badge did not go through a revision from the data it was sealed. The cap badge on issue during the Boer War period was fitted with loops.

This badge , if original, probably dates from post 1906. The "D" could signify anything. What do others think of this badge, I have some doubts?

John