British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-01-12, 11:16 PM

Default Valise badges

This old Almark paperback publication has plenty of illustrations by the famous artist Charles Stadden showing how the Valise/Pouch star was worn.

It's well worth getting hold of a copy,.......or you may be able to get a copy through your local library service

If you still have a library service.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14-01-2012 23;01;09.jpg (61.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 14-01-2012 22;59;25.jpg (75.7 KB, 32 views)
Old 15-01-12, 01:00 AM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Moore View Post
I am not sure of exact dates, but I was told by an ex-Guardsman many years ago that valise badges were originally attached to a leather pack by four lugs. The Slade Wallace equipment for guard mounting parades was gradually reduced from the full set, with pack, greatcoat and pouches in the 1880s, down to the contemporary configuration of Buff leather waist belt frog and bayonet. During the interwar period the equipment was down to folded cape on the shoulders (with valise stars, held on by a strap passing through the box arrangment) and no pouches. This explains why you find examples with four lugs (worn on leather pack), four lugs removed with box added (converted during transition) and box only (made post transition).

The same Guardsman told me that he was allowed to leave the regiment with certain souvenirs including his valise badge. It was custom for the quatermaster to damage the star so it was no longer suitable for purpose and therefore did not have to be handed back in. I have never been sure if this story is true or not but most of the CG examples I have seen all have a dent in the centre, I have also seen damaged examples of the other four regiments.

Happy hunting Dave Moore
Hi David,

My example had been smashed with a hammer or some other blunt instrument, it did take some work but the only really visible signs now are the two marks on the right arm of the cross, mine escaped the scrap barrel.

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My badges. 014.jpg (72.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 15-01-12, 12:34 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Hi Dave

Nice collection, the one I have is in white-metal does that make it a restrike

Gordon
Hi Gordon,

I'm not sure which badge you are referring to, I have just answered your Worcestershire Reg't Valise badge query but this question is worded the same, when I say mine is white metal, I am talking about my Irish Guards Pipers badge ??

I hope I'm not causing any confusion here ??

Dave.
Old 15-01-12, 03:58 PM

Default Guards valise/pouch badges

The booklet I mentioned above shows how the valise badge started life on the cartridge box worn in the middle of the back.

With modernisations to equipment it moved to other parts of the kit.

The early ones have four studs for mounting on a pouch but later ones have a box bracket that a strap can be passed through.

It's well known that The 29th (Worcestershire) adopted the custom from a Colonel who was an ex-Coldsteamer.

As this forum is on a world wide website there may be people reading this that wonder what this string is all about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04305.jpg (62.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04306.jpg (35.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 18-01-12, 08:55 AM

Default bed plates

Hi Grumpy,Nice photo you have posted,The centre B/Plate bottom row is not a issued one.
These were being sold at the guardroom converted to souvenir shop in front of Wellington Barracks London as tourist souvenirs.
You can recognise them by how close the wording on them is to the bottom of the B/Plate.
Regards
Ray
Old 18-01-12, 09:03 AM

Default Photo,s

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL DUGGAN View Post
The booklet I mentioned above shows how the valise badge started life on the cartridge box worn in the middle of the back.

With modernisations to equipment it moved to other parts of the kit.

The early ones have four studs for mounting on a pouch but later ones have a box bracket that a strap can be passed through.

It's well known that The 29th (Worcestershire) adopted the custom from a Colonel who was an ex-Coldsteamer.

As this forum is on a world wide website there may be people reading this that wonder what this string is all about.
Hi Bill
Thats a nice photo of the Scots Guardsman standing in front of Buckingham
Palace. Regards Ray
Old 03-12-13, 12:21 AM

Default 4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards Band Pouch Badge

For the sake of completeness I thought is appropriate to add the following to this thread.

I managed to acquire a copy of "The Dress Distinctions of the 4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards" by Langridges Military Publications dated 1961. The details contained are those ''subsisting on 5th Oct 1960 when the Regiment was stationed at a"home station".

One of the plates shows "The black patent leather pouch with brass badge and mountings as worn by all members of the band in all orders of dress except for the Band Sergeant in no. 1 dress and the Bandmaster. "

The star, illustrated actual size in the book, is approximately 90 mm tip to tip, the same dimensions as the IG valise star. Unfortunately no details are given on fitments but I speculate they are wearing the same badge as worn in the valise by the Irish Guards. Most likely with loop and/or screw fittings.

So it appears as if collectors to the 4/7 RDG can add this item to their collection if desired.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (41.1 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 03-12-13 at 03:21 AM. Reason: clarified comment on dimensions
Old 03-12-13, 11:18 AM

Hi All
I thought I'd share my little frame of guards badges, with a few valise badges included. Cheers,
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 023.jpg (76.5 KB, 28 views)