British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-08-10, 12:19 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hello again gentlemen,

Well, the Pipers' badge has arrived and although I'm well pleased, I'm afraid it is highly polished white metal and not silver, I tried the Goddards with a cotton bud on the back of the large rays, nothing happened until I'd touched all four and then it discoloured.........

Now then, do I leave it polished or take it back to basic white metal ?? see pics......

Thanks for all your previous advice and assistance.....

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pipers' badges 001.jpg (71.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Pipers' badges 002.jpg (69.9 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by davec2; 04-08-10 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-08-10, 12:57 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
Hello again gentlemen,

Well, the Pipers' badge has arrived and although I'm well pleased, I'm afraid it is highly polished white metal and not silver, I tried the Goddards with a cotton bud on the back of the large rays, nothing happened until I'd touched all four and then it discoloured.........

Now then, do I leave it polished or take it back to basic white metal ?? see pics......

Thanks for all your previous advice and assistance.....

Dave.
Dave, Take it back to white metal matey.

Non-Valise badge query - If I send this to you (pics included), will
you be able to sort it out for me? It looks as if it was rivetted to
possibly a horse harness/whatever at one time.
Whats unusual about it is that the badge has x2 long wires either side
in place of lugs.
I am only here for a few more days before I go back to Munich. So,
could send it this week.
The stubs of the old rivets are very short - could a 1cm length of
threading be brazed in their place??
Rgds, David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1.jpg (63.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Image2.jpg (88.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Image3.jpg (50.1 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by wright241; 04-08-10 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-08-10, 10:29 PM

Hello David,

That's a nice piece, if by ' threading ' you mean screw post fittings, then yes, I can do that for you, I cannot provide the old type nuts but I can include the normal hex nut, oh, the posts will not be brazed but silver soldered.

With our history, I must ask if any part of the badge is ' GILT ' , we know why but some may wonder, if you're happy to have 10/15mm x 3mm brass posts then send it over, do you still have my address ?

Kindest regards.

Dave.
Old 05-08-10, 08:04 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Hello David,

That's a nice piece, if by ' threading ' you mean screw post fittings, then yes, I can do that for you, I cannot provide the old type nuts but I can include the normal hex nut, oh, the posts will not be brazed but silver soldered.

With our history, I must ask if any part of the badge is ' GILT ' , we know why but some may wonder, if you're happy to have 10/15mm x 3mm brass posts then send it over, do you still have my address ?

Kindest regards.

Dave.
Thanks Dave - what frosted issue....?
Will send you the badge before I leave on Saturday. And I do still have your address, take care, david
Old 05-08-10, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
Thanks Dave - what frosted issue....?
Will send you the badge before I leave on Saturday. And I do still have your address, take care, david
Hi David,

I'm having a senior moment but I'm sure it will come to me eventually, look forward to doing you a " straight forward " repair ( famous last words )......

All the best.

Dave.
Old 05-08-10, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Hi David,

I'm having a senior moment but I'm sure it will come to me eventually, look forward to doing you a " straight forward " repair ( famous last words )......

All the best.

Dave.
Okey doke. Well as long as they arn't along the lines of '.... the recession will definitely be over by the end of 2009....'
David
Old 05-08-10, 12:00 PM

Hi David,

What recession ?

Photo showing work in progress, still some polish residue but the damage by polising may be too much......

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new collection2 079.jpg (72.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 05-08-10, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Hi David,

What recession ?

Photo showing work in progress, still some polish residue but the damage by polising may be too much......

Dave.

Dave, Looks just fine to me the way it is.
David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1.jpg (69.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 05-08-10, 01:02 PM

Hi David,

Is that the correct backing ?

I have two greens and yes, you've guessed it, one is lighter, the other a little darker !

Dave.
Old 05-08-10, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Hi David,

Is that the correct backing ?

I have two greens and yes, you've guessed it, one is lighter, the other a little darker !

Dave.
Dave, I think it should be darker. But what I do is use this one and then change the colour via graphics software. I could do it even more precisely if I knew the FS-595B/C number.
By the way, just got back from the PO - the badge mentioned previously is on its way...
David
Old 05-08-10, 01:35 PM

Cheers David,

I'll drop you a line when I receive it........

As for the green backing, this will prove my lack of IT knowledge, I've cut a piece of felt and put it behind the star, I've mounted it back on my board but no matter how hard I try, I can't find any ' graphics ' to alter the colour, is it me

Dave.
Old 05-08-10, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Cheers David,

I'll drop you a line when I receive it........

As for the green backing, this will prove my lack of IT knowledge, I've cut a piece of felt and put it behind the star, I've mounted it back on my board but no matter how hard I try, I can't find any ' graphics ' to alter the colour, is it me

Dave.
Send me the best resolution picture you can - as a .JPG or .BMP file and I will send you back some 'doctored versions' - use my private email address.
David
Old 14-01-12, 09:27 PM

Default Nice collection

Hi Dave

Nice collection, the one I have is in white-metal does that make it a restrike

Gordon
Old 14-01-12, 09:55 PM

Hi Gordon,

This came out of the blue, I thought this thread was dead ?

I am currently toying with the idea of parting with some of my Valise badges to fund other requirements, for example, a mini brazing kit ??? only toying at the moment !!

I hope white metal is fine because mine is white metal also ??

Dave.
Old 14-01-12, 10:10 PM

I am not sure of exact dates, but I was told by an ex-Guardsman many years ago that valise badges were originally attached to a leather pack by four lugs. The Slade Wallace equipment for guard mounting parades was gradually reduced from the full set, with pack, greatcoat and pouches in the 1880s, down to the contemporary configuration of Buff leather waist belt frog and bayonet. During the interwar period the equipment was down to folded cape on the shoulders (with valise stars, held on by a strap passing through the box arrangment) and no pouches. This explains why you find examples with four lugs (worn on leather pack), four lugs removed with box added (converted during transition) and box only (made post transition).

The same Guardsman told me that he was allowed to leave the regiment with certain souvenirs including his valise badge. It was custom for the quatermaster to damage the star so it was no longer suitable for purpose and therefore did not have to be handed back in. I have never been sure if this story is true or not but most of the CG examples I have seen all have a dent in the centre, I have also seen damaged examples of the other four regiments.

Happy hunting Dave Moore