British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-04-11, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Officers' medals do not have their regtl number. The cap badge is an other ranks so I suspect it is a keep sake rather than his own unless he enlisted as an OR and was quickly commissioned.
Old 21-04-11, 03:15 PM

being from Birmingham, I'm very envious. Lovely set. I have the battalion badges, but the medals etc make a great display piece.

Simon.
Old 21-04-11, 03:24 PM

Alan

Officers Birmingham Pals badges did not exist, so suppose they wore the standard Warwicks badge possibly? As far as I am aware, officers wore the same as o/r's, but the photo will be revealing.

K&K do mention a bronze officers badge for the 2nd Battn, but I have never seen one.
Cheers, Neil
Old 21-04-11, 06:18 PM
Peter J

Hello Neil,

I can find only three references to a 'Malcolm Foster' in the medal index cards, of whom only one has the correct middle initial of 'R'.

I have also located this man's Army service records at Kew, though the middle name is shown as 'Robert', rather than 'Robin'.

Can you be certain that your man's middle name is definitely 'Robin', or could his name have been misrecorded in these records?

Attachment 39679

Attachment 39680 Attachment 39681

Here is a link to Malcolm Robert Foster's service records held at the National Archives.

Here are links to two other officers' records, but these are in the name of 'M. Foster' only, with no middle initial.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=1647671&CATLN=6& Highlight=%2CFOSTER&accessmethod=0

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=1681699&CATLN=6& Highlight=%2CFOSTER&accessmethod=0

This fellow also appears in the London Gazette in May of 1919 (bottom of list in attachment below):

Attachment 39682

Regards,

Peter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Foster MICs.JPG (18.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Foster MIC.jpg (74.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Foster MIC 2.jpg (62.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg LG.jpg (57.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 21-04-11, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Pearce View Post
Alan

Officers Birmingham Pals badges did not exist, so suppose they wore the standard Warwicks badge possibly? As far as I am aware, officers wore the same as o/r's, but the photo will be revealing.

K&K do mention a bronze officers badge for the 2nd Battn, but I have never seen one.
Cheers, Neil
The only photos of Bham pals officers I have seen have been wearing the usual regular single scroll Officers' badge. The officers did not wear the same as ORs double scroll badge but the usual scrolless badge but in bronze.

ORs' side caps had the single scroll badge. It was only the Ors peaked caps that had the 2 scrolled badge.
Old 22-04-11, 06:45 AM

Peter J

This is fantastic, thanks very much!

I do know now that he was first shipped to Salonica, and am waiting for some paperwork, including an embarkation order. I hope that this has his army number etc.

Also he ultimately ended up in the Worcestershire Regiment. I think the first record for Malcolm Robert Forster MUST be him. He was definitely "Robin" though...... not unusual to get the name wrong I guess?
Cheers, Neil
Old 22-04-11, 10:24 AM

Neil,
Further to my PM the MICs posted by PeterJ are the same I've come up with.
The only one which could fit would be the chap with the Yorks and Lancs first then Worcs.

You will need to check where you think he first went in. It is not unusual for the names to be recorded incorrectly.

The other man is Indian Army and unlikely.

Hwyl,

Kevin
Old 22-04-11, 02:47 PM

He would not have gone to Salonika with the Birmingham Pals as the only Battalion which served anywhere near there was the 9th. I'm a little surprised that no-one has noted the presence of the Denstone College OTC cap badge...

The college still exists.
Old 22-04-11, 09:49 PM

The OTC connection has been noted, but only in PMs.
Old 23-04-11, 11:11 AM

Hi Guys

Thanks for all you help so far, and PM's. the plot thickens. Interesting he didn't go to Salonica with the Pals as it was always thought he did.

I also have OSD Worcestershire collars in the batch, but everyone had assumed this related to his service after the war.

Will post more info as I have it! Awaiting family in Cornwall to refresh their memories and confirm. It seems he may have had stint in Malta as well, from what I have heard. They are also digging out papers

Cheers, Neil
Old 27-04-11, 04:24 PM

Default More info

Just had a telephone call with my grandmother. She has a letter which confirmed that, In May 1916, he received a communication from the War Office, addressed to 2nd Lieutenant M.R. Foster of the 13th Worcestershire Regiment. He was to report to the Embarkation Officer's office at Davenport dockyard (Plymouth) no later than 18th May and be prepared to travel to the Mediterranean. She says the embarkation number on the document is not very clear (she's sending it to me via surface mail) but thinks it is: 120 / MEDYN / 8013.
She does not have a record of his Army number at all and says she doesn't remember ever seeing one. There are some other docs. she is sending, so I will keep you posted if anything comes to light

Does this help at all? As ever, appreciate the help!
Cheers, Neil
Old 09-05-11, 08:18 PM

OK, I now have some papers which were sent by post to France. The situation seems to be a little clearer, but I still need some assistance, if possible.

The first papers are dated 13th November 1915 appointing him as temporary 2nd Lieutenant to the 13th Worcestershire Regiment they were addressed to him as Corporal in the 17th Warwickshire Regiment. These advised him to report to the Cambridge University OTC for training on 20 Nov 1915

Embrakation orders dated May 1916 stating that he had to go to Mudros on 18th May 1916.

There are big gaps here. I know he attended Denstone OTC, then joined the 3rd Warwicks (heresay) upon formation. Also, what happened to him after May 1916??

Thanks in advance again gents!
Cheers, Neil
Old 09-05-11, 10:59 PM

The buttons are standard issue OR type as worn on the Kitchener blue uniform. Coming from Bham I have a number of friends who are big collectors of Bham Pals...I will put them onto this thread.

Re value of medals all I can add is a trio to a non casualty Bham Pal recently aquired at auction...approx £100. Buttons £10 each....seen go for more on e bay. Cap badge £195? whistle £30 to £40. No idea re sword and swagger. Collection to you as a whole...priceless.

My guess without research...early recruit, quickly showed potential and commissioned to Worcesters. If original pal he would have gone to France in Nov 1915 and remained there apart from a short sojurn in Italy in 1918.

TT
Old 10-09-11, 11:18 AM

Default Birmingham Pals

Hi there all,

I've just been updating my badge database when I came across a rather unusual statement in King and Kipling Volume 1. K & K suggesting that there was a bronze badge struck for the '2nd Birmingham Pals', 15th Royal Warwickshire, and also shows a '3rd Birmingham Pals' badge that appears to be in a bronze as well.

I was under the impression that Officers serving with 'Pals' battalions wore the 'parent unit' insignia, so in this case, an OSD Royal Warwickshire badge. Am I incorrect and Officers of the Birmingham Pals did actually have their own OSD, or was there an O.R's cast bronze badge?

Thank you in advance.

Phil
Old 10-09-11, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Phil.

All the photos I have seen of Bham Pals officers show them wearing the usual Warcs single scroll badge. For interest comtempory photos show the ORs also wore the single scroll badge on side caps but the double scroll on their peaked caps. Both are in seen in the same photo

Alan.

Tags
birmingham pals, royal warwicks