British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-03-23, 07:57 PM

Oh my God - really?
Thanks for the heads up, there's one on now for £40 and I was tempted, but having read all your advice, I'm going to give it a swerve!!
Thanks to you all, you've been brilliant!!
Old 11-03-23, 09:35 PM

Default GMGR or GMGB?

Yes, a short lived and scarce badge. Whilst formed in 1918 the badge was not sealed until 1919 and became obsolete 13/02/20.

If referring to the one being sold by angola76 currently at £44, it is a fake.

There are several useful threads on the GMGR badge on the forum.

Edit: sorry I have just seen the comments in posts #25 and #28 seem to refer to GMGB (Guards Machine Gun Battalion), a very different beast.

GMGB sealed on 28/03/17, SP 3220/1917 (pic 1) KK923
GMGR sealed on 06/02/19, SP 3220/1919 (pic 2) KK922
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5801F044-484B-4DF6-9E6E-D8312338D78E.jpg (54.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpeg B423F4CB-489E-4D05-8D3E-F13567FF7B7E.jpeg (39.4 KB, 18 views)
Old 11-03-23, 09:53 PM

angola76 is known for selling some fakes sprinkled with some genuine items.
"Not every man can have wisdom. Stupid people have to exist too, because if everyone was wise, then there would be so much good sense in the world that every other person would be driven crazy by it."
— Josef Švejk
Old 12-03-23, 11:43 AM

Luke, lifochil - thanks so much for your guidance guys - and yes, I was tempted by the angola 76 badge but now I'm going nowhere near it!

With regards to e-bay, I reckon I'm gradually getting to know those traders who can be trusted to put-up good items for sale - but I've got to admit, I've been caught out a number of times too many; but hey-ho, that just means that I've got to replace some duffers with some good 'uns, so in a way, it's re-invigorated me for getting to fares and buying the old fashioned way - face to face !! Thanks again for the advice - really really appreciate it!
Old 12-03-23, 12:58 PM

Sorry to KEEP harping on about e-bay, but I've just seen a dealer who says "THIS IS AN ORIGINAL WW1 BI-METAL CAP BADGE TO THE 5th ROYAL IRISH LANCERS WORN 1902-1922 TYPE MADE AND WORN WW1 WITH A WHITE METAL No 5 AND ALL BRASS PENNONS THIS IS AN EXCELLENT EXAMPLE.....ALL MY BADGES ARE GUARANTEED GENUINE AND ORIGINAL TO THE PERIOD OF WEAR" and he/she is charging £110 for a badge with a flat, solid back - the type that "Alan O" referred to specifically as an out-and-out fake. If Alan is right in his assessment (which I'm sure he is) how can people be allowed to trade in such a dishonest and misleading manner? Surely this is illegal - it's not as if the seller even offered a "make your own mind up" backside-covering clause. Such trading should be stopped and the miscreant traders taken to task.
Old 12-03-23, 01:10 PM

Default 5L

The badge in question is of a type member RSM and I have been studying. It is not one I would dismiss. Whilst there are many solid die cast back 5L fakes the example you mention is not from that die.

However £110 is a ridiculous price.

The ‘list’ price for a bi-metal 5L by even Bosley’s themselves is c.£65 when they appear on their BuyWyze or Regimentalbadges.com websites.

My advice would not be to pay more than £75, at most.
Old 12-03-23, 01:23 PM

Once again Luke, thanks again for the steer, really very much appreciated!
So just to get it right in my (thick) head - not ALL solid back 5th Lancers badges are questionable?
Old 12-03-23, 01:35 PM

There may be one very rare exception to the rule albeit the lance shafts (tips and bases) plus the pennons to an extent are not wholly flat solid on the reverse.

I shan’t say more as it’s RSM’s discovery and I don’t want to steal his thunder.
Old 12-03-23, 02:33 PM

Ha ! I get that totally Luke !! Thanks again to the heads-up mate, much appreciated!
Old 12-03-23, 04:49 PM

Doubtful seller but I wondered about this GMGR when it was for sale. I noticed the fault over Regiment that continues over the right side as viewed and the right gun. Regards, Paul. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364166544...Bk9SR4yHnOvaYQ
Old 12-03-23, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
Doubtful seller but I wondered about this GMGR when it was for sale. I noticed the fault over Regiment that continues over the right side as viewed and the right gun. Regards, Paul. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364166544...Bk9SR4yHnOvaYQ
A cast copy Paul.

You can see the casting flaws evidently over the edges and top of the slider scar.
Old 12-03-23, 07:13 PM

Guys - it's at 44 quid now.... and still has time to get over £50. Thanks so much for giving me the heads-up on this one!
Old 12-03-23, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
A cast copy Paul.

You can see the casting flaws evidently over the edges and top of the slider scar.
I didn't like the scar left by the slider being removed either. No sign of braze, no sign of any sharp damage, just a nicely rounded and uniform mark. If that makes sense. I hadn't thought it may be a lost wax casting.
Old 13-03-23, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary B View Post
Seriously, I can't tell you how much I appreciate that advice - thanks so much for your up-front honesty.
Over the last few months I've been considering whether or not to knock badge collecting on the head because of the wasted £'s on forgeries and wrong-'uns, but with help and guidance from people like you, I think it's worth cracking-on.
Thanks again !!
Don't give up collecting!! It is very rewarding but because of the demand, fraudsters have taken more and more advantage with their lies and cheating. I still get caught so try to limit what I buy to exactly what I know is good. Using the forum is the best way to stay ahead.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 13-03-23, 04:34 PM

Alex, thanks so much for those wise words!

I don't think I'll ever stop collecting B&C cap badges - the "bug" has well and truly taken hold. It's frustrating though..... I've sold genuine WW1 & WW2 rarities (bayonets, field-kit, side-arms, scarce ephemera etc.) to help fund my new passion - only to discover that I've been a goon and bought forgeries - albeit, very convincing and well-aged forgeries!

That said, having now discovered the Forum (my new knowledge-crutch) I shall hobble on, better armed and with renewed vigour! Gotta say though, the blatant sh*t-housery of some of the e-bay traders leaves me speechless - I came across a "genuine" WW1 Parachute Regiment badge on sale the other day.... Wowzer....

Thanks again Alex - you've wound me up for more bartering now mate !!