British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-01-22, 04:32 AM

Default NZE badge?

Hi folks

I was sent this badge some time back but can't seem to find out anything about it.

It is silver, 55mm from tip to tip and bears the mark "M & K". I suspect that it is WW2 and was wondering if it could be for some "co-operation" with US Forces in New Zealand.

As the "friendly invasion" took place around 1942, it must post-date this period.

I'm told that they have turned up before but not in massive numbers.

Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nzemystery.jpg (25.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg nzemystery1.JPG (39.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 04-01-22, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post

It is silver, 55mm from tip to tip and bears the mark "M & K". I suspect that it is WW2 and was wondering if it could be for some "co-operation" with US Forces in New Zealand.

As the "friendly invasion" took place around 1942, it must post-date this period.
M&K - Probably Mayer and Keane of Wellington

A long shot but as it was a "friendly invasion" could it be a 'war brides' brooch ?

Quote:
Almost 1500 New Zealand women travelled to the United States as war brides, although for them too the ride was often rocky. In anticipation of living in the United States a number had set up the Eagle Club to swap information on the three Cs: cookery, customs and the Constitution.

The Eagle Club extended its membership to the mothers who worried at home.

https://teara.govt.nz/en/video/31022/eagles-club-1944

The group referred to themselves as New Zealand Eagles.

Quote:
The Eagle Club, an organisation of brides and fiancees of U.S. servicemen, agitated for months to gain passage on a ship. It took a telegram to President Harry Truman to cut through the red tape.

Una Joan Yeoman of Wellington, who married Bosun's Mate Yeoman of Torrance, California, cabled the President: "Desperate Appeal Stop Please Let Us Travel Monterey Stop New Zealand Eagles."

No one in Washington knew who the Eagles were. The U.S. State Department called the New Zealand Legation in Washington. They didn't know either. They cabled New Zealand.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 04-01-22, 10:05 AM

Hi Mike

I think you might just have nailed this! Many thanks! The pin back should have told me that it was for a woman to wear and how many service badges are real silver anyway?

The Y.W.C.A. a group called the American-Kiwi Club that was to "train" wives and fiancees of American servicemen for their future new life in the States. Most homes at that time didn't have "modern" appliances...

I'll post a photo of one of these badges later!

Thanks again. Yep, that works for me!