British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-01-22, 12:51 PM

Default Essex buttons

Hello Troops
Any members collect Essex buttons from 1902 to 1958?
I started some time ago, and now I have over 26 so far. The makers mark on the back of the buttons might have J.R.GAUNT & SON LONDON another will have J.R.GAUNT & SON LTD LONDON ENGLD. So each one is a different mark even if it is made by the same company. Without any one having to show each maker, how many buttons do you have in your collection? I never thought there would have been so many manufactures for the same button.
Thanks in advance
Terry
Old 01-01-22, 02:02 PM

Hi Terry
I collect back marks to the Devonshire Regiment, for the kings crown 1902-1952 period (not AA) I have 23 Officers and two more noted yet to find. Other ranks 17 with another one noted so I guess that makes 40, but a few have the wording abbreviated for the small/medium sized buttons.

And then there are drop shank and fixed shank varieties of some of the other ranks buttons.

Rob
Old 01-01-22, 04:40 PM

Hello Terry, maybe I’ve some back marks for Essex buttons but doubt it as Just realized you only collect post 1902 buttons. Mine are all on a frame along with Helmet plates to the Essex and pre ‘02 buttons along with usual post ‘02 bimetal and brass hat badges. I think just 3 post ‘02 buttons. Lived in Warley during the War, remember going to the Regiment’s open day held at the Barracks at War’s end. Moved to Elm Park in 1948. Worked a few Saturdays at Romford Market when the farmers bought in their pigs and calves for auction. OOPS, Rambling again! I’ll take the frame down in the near future and see what I’ve got. Regards, D.J.
Old 02-01-22, 12:51 PM

Talking

Thanks for your reply lads, I should have been more specific. The 26 Essex buttons I have, are 25mm. I do collect Essex Yeomanry, Essex Imperial Yeomanry, and all the different sizes.
I was hopping to get bombarded with, is that all you have? are you just starting out? Give it time, I hope I get more feed back.
Regards Terry