British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-12-21, 02:31 AM

Default Assistance needed to Identify Bades

Hi,
A number of items, including war medals, of a man who served in the NZDF in WW1, and who also served as a Soldier in England for 12 years prior to that, have come into my possession. He was my great grandfathers cousin, and as I'm more into genealogy, I do not know much about such things. So, can you help me identify these please? I'm also going to include a very small photo that came with the items, as I suspect that it is my great grandfathers cousin, who was one William Osborne Liggins, and in it he is wearing a uniform that looks to me like it has at least two of the badges I have on the collar.

Any assistance in identifying his uniform would also be gratefully received!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Possibly Osborne Liggins.jpg (33.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 20211215_151718.jpg (21.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 20211215_151802.jpg (16.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20211215_151843.jpg (19.9 KB, 65 views)
Old 15-12-21, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Hello TikvaNZ, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
The collective wisdom of the Forum should be able to assist you with your request.
Old 15-12-21, 01:31 PM

The small grenades are generic badges used at various times by numerous units as collar badges, part of shoulder titles, rank and appointment insignia.
In the image they're worn as collar badges by a man in the Royal Artillery, who is wearing the "Brodrick cap" in use during the early years of the 20th century.

The guns are worn above rank chevrons.
Old 15-12-21, 01:54 PM

The lion is the badge of the New Zealand Rifle Brigade.
Old 15-12-21, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

The Brodrick was widely in use from 1903-06 although it was worn a little longer in some cases.
Old 15-12-21, 03:59 PM
LYPAO Boff

...... New Zealand Rifle Brigade collar badge.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 15-12-21, 08:32 PM

Thank you all for the most helpful information! William Osborne Liggins served with the Royal Artillery for 12 years prior to coming to New Zealand, which was in 1912, so it's good to know that the photo is likely of him. The items were found in a box that also contained some metal toy soldiers, and on the box someone has written "Osborne's and Will's badges", so that lends more weight to it being William Osborne Liggins, whose father was named William as well.

With the guns that are worn above rank chevrons, I noticed that each of them point in a different direction. Does that mean that the chevrons were worn on both sides of the uniform (not sure where chevrons would be), for example, on the top of each arm?

Thanks again for your assistance.
Old 16-12-21, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
...... New Zealand Rifle Brigade collar badge.
Told to me by a 104-year old NZRB (4th Btn) man some years back as the "monkey on the stick"
Old 16-12-21, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikvaNZ View Post
Thank you all for the most helpful information! William Osborne Liggins served with the Royal Artillery for 12 years prior to coming to New Zealand, which was in 1912, so it's good to know that the photo is likely of him. The items were found in a box that also contained some metal toy soldiers, and on the box someone has written "Osborne's and Will's badges", so that lends more weight to it being William Osborne Liggins, whose father was named William as well.

With the guns that are worn above rank chevrons, I noticed that each of them point in a different direction. Does that mean that the chevrons were worn on both sides of the uniform (not sure where chevrons would be), for example, on the top of each arm?

Thanks again for your assistance.
Chevrons worn on the upper arms, guns worn above, barrels pointing to the wearers front.
Old 16-12-21, 06:43 PM

As shown.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:26 PM.
Old 17-12-21, 08:59 PM

Thank you all very much for your assistance - I can now record these with my genealogy records accurately