British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-10-21, 02:48 PM

Default Mould

Hi Neil, that mould was made using what was most likely a original cap badge. Marshal brass in Norfolk made a lot of them, in the mid 80s. Yours is a lost wax type, could be used about 1000 times, before the rubber disintegrated. I have also seen the same moulds for Norfolk officer helmet plate centres and scrolls, and vic crown glengarry straps . Thanks for letting us know is out there.
Old 28-10-21, 02:52 PM

Default Norfolk Badge

Gents the badge in the EBay listing I’ve started this with is die struck isn’t it? I’ve never seen this version on lugs or in white metal I’m a bit confused?
Old 28-10-21, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyboy View Post
Gents the badge in the EBay listing I’ve started this with is die struck isn’t it? I’ve never seen this version on lugs or in white metal I’m a bit confused?
Hi dean, it looks like it is cast, the one used to make the mould was probably struck using a die.
Old 28-10-21, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk regt man View Post
Hi Neil, that mould was made using what was most likely a original cap badge. Marshal brass in Norfolk made a lot of them, in the mid 80s. Yours is a lost wax type, could be used about 1000 times, before the rubber disintegrated. I have also seen the same moulds for Norfolk officer helmet plate centres and scrolls, and vic crown glengarry straps . Thanks for letting us know is out there.
I used to have one for the 2VB, but sold it on eBay for a fiver. If memory serves, the badges I remember coming out of it were mostly made in cheap silver masquerading as nickel (WM).
Old 28-10-21, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyboy View Post
Gents the badge in the EBay listing I’ve started this with is die struck isn’t it? I’ve never seen this version on lugs or in White metalI’m a bit confused?
It was probably a cheap silver, back then it was cheaper to make badges out of it than nickel. If the content was quite high, but below sterling they were just stamped with the word 'silver'. There were loads being made and all were cast from moulds like this, and some had a die struck appearance because the mould was clearly defined on both sides.

Neil
Old 29-10-21, 05:19 AM

Thanks Neil.
Old 29-10-21, 08:47 AM

Default Norfolk

Hi Gents I don’t see how the badge for sale is cast I’m no expert on metals and lost wax processes etc but everything about this badge which I’m not going to buy says it’s genuine to me. I’ve never seen this badge used in a VB or white metal configuration or with lugs so I’m really confused. If it’s a repro from the 80s it’s a good one and everything I thought I knew about badges is wrong. You’re always at school and need to keep an open mind but I can zoom in on the image which is pretty good quality and see plenty of detail. Can you please offer up more on the VB badge and white metal versions?
Old 06-12-22, 04:06 PM

As the link is to eBay the link no longer works is this the type it relates to
IMG_20221206_155616.jpg

IMG_20221206_155658.jpg