British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-12-12, 07:25 AM

Default royal naval hospital

I aquired this button and I assume that RNH stands for Royal Naval Hospital, but can anyone help me as to when this was worn. It has a 'crow's foot' above the anchor, so no clues from the type of crown.
Many thanks
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rnh.jpg (24.8 KB, 32 views)
Old 05-12-12, 12:35 PM

Hi Mike,

For what my suggestions are worth....

RNH
Royal Navy Hospitals
Other ranks tunic button
Used from about 1820 to about 1849

Regards,

Donny B.
Old 05-12-12, 06:16 PM

Here is a thread on a similar button but with a KC - Naval or Navy ????

Tim
Old 06-12-12, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
[URL="http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14895&highlight=haslar"] Naval or Navy ????

Tim

Some interesting discussion on that other thread but my source clearly designates it as "Navy" and includes an "s" after Hospital so as to read "ROYAL NAVY HOSPITALS". I will stick with that.

The button in that other thread, with the crown, is Royal Navy Hospitals, OR's tunic button, probably from about 1902 to about 1952.

Donny B.
Old 06-12-12, 05:13 AM

Thanks, Donny B & Tim. Before I posted the thread I did what we all do - I trawled the Net. I did find mention of the RNH button with the crown, but the version with the arrow eluded me - so I'm pleased to be able to give it a date.
I keep a collection of buttons as a sideline. There is not any theme to the collection. But they are attractive, dont require any maintenance, are researchable ( as was shown here) and they dont break the bank. And I guess, when all else fails, a nice button gives you the 'fix' that all us collectors crave.
All the best
Mike
Old 06-12-12, 05:16 AM

Hi MIke.
Could you post a picture of the rear of the button showing the manufacturers name.

I have posted a picture of an original 1820's - 1840's button made by Firman.
These were all flat with a looped shank typical of the period buttons.

Later buttons have a slight domed curvature and the crows foot is different. Post 1902 shows buttons with kings crown and also domed. Construction is very similar to civilian blazer buttons.

From pictures of RN sick berth ratings in the late victorian period and early twentieth century I have seen, all the ratings are wearing black RN type buttons(possibly horn or bone and later plastic). It is my understanding from the earlier thread that these buttons may have been worn on hospital blues and not by OR's on there tunics.

Regards
Steven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buttonrnh.jpg (68.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-12-12, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmed View Post
I have posted a picture of an original 1820's - 1840's button made by Firman.These were all flat with a looped shank typical of the period buttons.

Later buttons have a slight domed curvature and the crows foot is different. Post 1902 shows buttons with kings crown and also domed................................... It is my understanding from the earlier thread that these buttons may have been worn on hospital blues and not by OR's on there tunics.

Regards
Steven
Well spotted, Steven.

I guess I must apologise for having been a little hasty with my post. It is difficult to tell if the button shown in my source is flat or curved, but in reviewing it I can now see, since you have pointed it out, Steven, that there are indeed little tabs on the ends of the broad arrow, similar to your badge so it is probably flat. My source jumps from the 1829s/40s button to the 1902 (crowned) button. I would guess, then, that your button, Mike, with the slightly domed finish must be between those dates.

It is that source that refers to them as OR tunic buttons. He was correct with the dates (it was me who missed the detail) so probably he is correct with the usage.

We must try to be correct with these things, eh!

Donny B.
Old 06-12-12, 11:05 AM

Hi Donny B,
Thanks for your reply. I have seen the source you refer to on the WWW. It is a pretty good reference. I know I have anouther reference to these RNH buttons(from one of the Button collectors clubs), but unable to lay my hands on it at present.

I agree the slightly domed version is probably prior to 1902 and post the flat button of the early victorian period.

Regards
Steven
Old 06-12-12, 06:25 PM

Here is a pic of the reverse of the button. I hope that it helps with the dating.
Regards
mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rnh2.jpg (23.3 KB, 22 views)
Old 07-12-12, 05:47 AM

Hi Mike,
I note the following:
1. No manufactures mark. All early victorian buttons I have seen have had a manufacturers name on the buttons.

2. There appears to be two casting marks at the 10 and 11 position in your picture. These buttons would have been stamped out and not cast.

My feelings is that this may be a cast reproduction.

Any other opinions are welcome?

Steven