British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-07-08, 08:29 PM

Default Gurkha Brigade Officer

Can anybody help me out here ?
Is or was there such a thing as a Gurkha Brigade officer ? rather than an officer attached from one of the rifle regiments or corps regiments,is so what insignia did they wear ?
Old 12-07-08, 12:11 AM
David Douglas

There are 2 types of 'officers' in the Brigade of Gurkhas - Officers and Gurkha Officers. Officers were commissioned into the British Army and posted to any one of the regiments or corps of the Brigade of Gurkhas. They were Sandhurst graduates, invariably British and received additional training in Goorkali - the language of the Gurkhas - and Gurkha cultural aspects, before joining their regiments/corps. Then there were Gurkha Officers - Nepalese of high social standing who satisfied an academic criteria (and other criteria) for Gurkha Commissions. They ranked immediately below British officers and above Gurkha NCOs. All wore the same insignia of their respective regiment/corps. Gurkha military culture is quite unique and only those who have served in the Brigade understand completely that it is all about and what it stands for in a modern world. The Gurkhas are really worth getting to know. Regards. David
Old 12-07-08, 08:33 PM

What i meant was is there an officers boss badge to the brigade badge.I saw something that i presumed was one but im not sure if its correct or a genuine item.
Old 12-07-08, 08:39 PM
David Douglas

There is no Gurkha Brigade boss badge. There are individual regimental boss badges for each regiment of Gurkha Rifles. Officers and Gurkha Officers wore such badges. What is the device on the boss badge you have ? Regards. David
Old 12-07-08, 09:08 PM

Hi Mike
as david said, there was/is no seperate badge for British or Queens Gurkha officers attached to the brigade HQ. All wear/wore the parent regt badge.
Recruits at the Training depot wear the plain crossed kukri's as did the band, but training staff again wear the parent unit.

However that said some military police type units and local raised units and I think the assam rifles had a officers cap boss with the plain crossed kukris.
I cant look it up till tomorrow as I have a guest is in my office.
Steve
Old 13-07-08, 08:05 PM

Further to my last post,
Assam Rifles officers and WO's wore a 'dark' boss with just crossed kukris in Silver/WM on it.
Or the one you have seen, if it is a black boss could be a 6th GR officers 1948-60 with the tiny '6' missing. After 1960 the crown was added.
Both could be assumed to be Brigade officers bosses. Without a picture its the best I can do, sorry
Steve
Old 13-07-08, 09:42 PM

Its a green cord boss with crossed kukris
Old 14-07-08, 01:28 PM

Hi Mike,
Green cord bosses were not worn by any regts in the brigade. I strongly suspect that this may be for the Assam Rifles.
Steve