British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-12-23, 09:29 PM

Default Fragile badges

I do wonder why some of the manufacturers of badges made them almost to break before they adorned a cap.

Two top contestants for the poor design award IMO are Royal Armoured Corps 1st pattern and the Bays as shown in the photos.

The Bays has a thin bar across the top under the crown, but this was inadequate and some I believe had stronger bars.

However the manufacturers expected these to be taken out, cleaned and replaced on a regular basis is beyond me.

Any other contenders for the poor badge design?

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040838.jpg (39.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg P1040839.jpg (48.9 KB, 60 views)
Old 19-12-23, 09:47 PM

Fife & Forfar Yeomanry? That plume.......
Buffs tail, before they were stamped out with the tip of the tail touching the curve of the tailSuffolk Yeomanry, those flags, Cambridge Rifle Volunteers helmet plate, flags again.
I'll keep quiet, give others a chance.
Old 19-12-23, 10:15 PM

Sorry, can't help it - the tiger's tail on the anod al Forester's Brigade badge, most of the fittings on the RRF black plastics, the LI black plastics.......
Old 19-12-23, 10:21 PM

Default Fragile badges

Leigh, you have not mentioned any Lancers yet . . !

Rob
Old 19-12-23, 10:28 PM

There are of course more badges, Connaught Rangers or 9th Lancers come to mind, that can be found with reinforcements to fragile points; but I would certainly not refer to them, nor any such, as "poor" designs.

CB
Old 19-12-23, 10:34 PM

Default The WW2 RAF & RAAF Medical Branch collar badge 'bar'

On this subject, I have often wondered about the 'bar' seen on the rear of RAF Medical collar badges. I have never seen the same on the RAAF equivalent & wondered if this was just a UK difference in design quirk & they were originally manufactured like that for added strength, or if they were added later to help strengthen them after broken badges were initially encountered?
The RAAF types are not fragile though & so I am unsure why the 'bar' appears on the RAF types?
Old 19-12-23, 10:42 PM

Wife's got her dad's St Edward's Crown RAF Medical collar badges, I think they're reinforced, I'll check.
Old 19-12-23, 10:47 PM

Default Fragile badges

CB, you are correct in saying the badge design was not poor, just the way the manufacturers produced them to be worn.

If the two I first mentioned, 1st pattern RAC and the Bays had loops instead of sliders there would be few problems taking the badges off to polish them.

Rob
Old 19-12-23, 11:29 PM

How practical was it to use a button stick rather than remove a badge from a cap or beret? Admittedly, if the badge wasn't removed from headgear you may get done for the back of the badge being "dirty" or stained with residue of Soldier's Friend or Brasso.
Though I dislike the appearance and fragility of anod al badges I've never been one of those who'd rather have been issued a badge I'd have to polish - more work and more risk of falling foul of the sarn't major.
And that reminds me - anod al Fusilier Bde and RRF badges - often snapped at the neck even though they didn't have to be removed for polishing.
Old 20-12-23, 07:17 AM

The RWAFF, Palm Tree has to be the ultimate winner of this game, found mostly without strengthening though you do come across a strengthening bar to the rear on a few!