British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-04-12, 09:41 PM

Default Weekend purchases?

Attached are photos of some of the bits as yet unidentified from the weekend purchases/trip.
Firstly a Guards puggaree badge. I was going to clean it up, but then realised the front only had been painted black a very long time ago and I wondered why? I've left it as is, but did the Guards subdue badges? A Boer War thing perhaps? The stamping is very high quality and I'm sure it's genuine.
Secondly a Fife & Forfar Yeo. Normal size, loops E & W, but the strange part to me is that almost all the 'grass' has been sanded flat (?) and then highly polished. It's very difficult to take a photo as the whole badge has been polished to very high sheen. Is this 'normal', or has it been used as an arm badge (which is the other reason I've seen badges mutilated, such as the RAC badge with the rivets polished out or the backing plates on others with the stippling polished out). Any other info out there?
Finally a Royal Signals full dress busby badge. KC, but 'locally made by REME for the band' according to the seller. A Majors crown, a brass door knob, a cut down cartridge case, a piece of scrap (slider) and a cast 'Jimmy'. It has age and the number 5 scratched on the back. Anybody else seen one like this?

Grateful for any comments/answers on the above.

Ian H
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2312.jpg (32.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2317.jpg (58.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2325.jpg (61.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2327.jpg (53.5 KB, 42 views)