British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-07-20, 05:02 PM

Default Victorian Crowns

I wonder if anyone can assist with this query.

What is the criteria for deciding which pattern of Victorian Crown surmounts a badge?. Apart from the multitude of varieties of the QVC as we know it, there is also an Imperial flat-topped Crown, worn by various units during Victoria's reign.

Dress Regulations blandly mention, in both cases, "a Crown".

GTB
Old 04-08-20, 06:40 AM

Nobody knows?

GTB
Old 04-08-20, 03:28 PM

Well, no expert here, but I as far as I am aware, there was no specific criteria.
The most common "QVC" that we refer to was the default basic crown.
The flat topped crown, sometimes erroneously referred to as the Indian crown etc. was actually another version of the Imperial crown that was worn by a few regiments (DLI, 21st L etc.) and was utilized by many other regiments for letter head, mess decoration and so on, but apparently without specification. Just regimental choice I presume.

CB
Old 04-08-20, 03:34 PM

It has been suggested that the flat topped crown was worn by units which attended one or other of the Delhi Durbars but I believe that the regiments that attended and those that wore the crown don't tally.
Old 04-08-20, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
It has been suggested that the flat topped crown was worn by units which attended one or other of the Delhi Durbars but I believe that the regiments that attended and those that wore the crown don't tally.
Apparently nothing to do with the Durbars. I made this inquiry not long ago and was corrected. One of our members explained this crown very well and I can't recall the exact term for it.

CB
Old 04-08-20, 04:54 PM

Thanks, gentlemen, for your contributions.
A case in point pertinent to my query is K&K description of a pair of 31 st Ft glengarry badges (Nos. 474, 475). No. 474 has the normal QVC, while No. 475 has the flat-topped crown. Description for former: "...surmounted by a Victorian crown" and the latter:"...surmounted by a Victorian crown". Bizarre!

GTB
Old 05-08-20, 08:26 AM

I may be digressing here but I think that offering any information is productive. Re the flat-topped crown, Churchill mentions that in 1874 the Crown was introduced as a collar badge for certain regiments and was referred to in Army Orders as an Imperial crown (Pattern 9386 sealed 30 June 1874, and referred in the text as "A flat-topped Imperial crown". This is illustrated as Fig 333, for 11th Foot, and worn 1874-78 by ORs. So much for the nomenclature.

GTB