British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-03-23, 06:18 PM

Default Scottish Infantry

Hi folks,

Came across the attached, and while not an area I collect to, I’ve always had an attraction to Scottish badges

I wouldn’t know where to start with these - are they acceptable? What era would they be from? Do they have the correct tartan backing?

Any insight gratefully received.

Cheers,

Andy C

Last edited by AndyC_65; 18-03-23 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Spelink
Old 18-03-23, 07:39 PM

Hi Andy,
Without closer photos of front and back, impossible to be sure. That said, none look too promising to my eye. All the tartan backings are correct, but added for the display and I am thinking that all are probable reproductions for this purpose along with the badges.

CB
Old 18-03-23, 07:50 PM

Just from the front the Royal Scots is definitely fake and HLI very likely is too.

As CB says photos front and back are needed.
Old 18-03-23, 10:11 PM

The KOSB badge has the tartan in the wrong orientation. My sources all show red coming from the upper left corner. The Argyll's wear Government 1 a, which is a lighter version of the Black Watch. That said, I know many who use BW anyway. I am not sure what tartan that is for the Royal Scots Fusiliers, as they wore BW until 1948 and Hunting Erskine after that date. I stand to be corrected, but this is based on my research and references shared with me.

Luke, how can you Identify a fake Royal Scots please? I am wanting another for my collection, and sure hate to get bit.

Terry
Old 23-03-23, 03:23 PM

Thanks all for your input.
Old 23-03-23, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
The KOSB badge has the tartan in the wrong orientation. My sources all show red coming from the upper left corner. The Argyll's wear Government 1 a, which is a lighter version of the Black Watch. That said, I know many who use BW anyway. I am not sure what tartan that is for the Royal Scots Fusiliers, as they wore BW until 1948 and Hunting Erskine after that date. I stand to be corrected, but this is based on my research and references shared with me.

Luke, how can you Identify a fake Royal Scots please? I am wanting another for my collection, and sure hate to get bit.

Terry
the common one has St Andrew with a long 'ZZ top' beard. Same beard on several versions of the fake die.
Old 23-03-23, 05:37 PM

I just noticed that he Royal Scots, although on he correct tartan I have always seen it with the red and yellow lines forming an X with red coming from the upper left. That said many regiments did not specify the orientation of the tartan because it could be rather costly to always expect a specific way to wear it. I believe they typically used tartan from worn kilts or trews.

Royal Scots, Bi-metallic, with Hunting Stewart tartan flash.jpg

Collecting Scottish badges is a really fun area to pursue and especially if you put the tartan backing to them. I started with 6 that I'd had for close to 20 years and a year ago decided to expand it and now have about 50.

DSCF2950.jpg

These two albums have been of great help to me.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=4525

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...hp?albumid=349

Terry