British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-07-23, 01:59 PM

Default New find, not in the best of condition.

This morning's find; not in the best of condition but I was not leaving it behind. The felt like material has far too much moth damage and the leather is very dry.

I will need to stabilise rather than restore the cap and will start by putting it in the freezer for a week or two. I am worried about removing the cap badge to clean it as, having tangs, it will probably damage either the material, the tangs or both.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050434.jpg (87.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg P1050435.jpg (94.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg P1050436.jpg (78.6 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg P1050438.jpg (70.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg P1050439.jpg (68.8 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg P1050440.jpg (90.1 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg P1050437.jpg (93.3 KB, 68 views)
Old 02-07-23, 08:12 PM

Quite a job you have there! But a nice cap, it'll be great if you can restore it.
Why the freezer, what does that do?
I'd try the cap badge, the tangs are normally quite tough, perhaps bend bit by bit, if you feel any give then stop, I'd say it's worth a try, the badge will clean up nicely.
Chris
Old 02-07-23, 08:37 PM

Kills moth eggs / larvae.
Old 02-07-23, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM View Post
Kills moth eggs / larvae.
Ah ha!
Thank you
Old 03-07-23, 03:46 PM

A rough one there unfortunately. There is not a whole lot that can be done with this cap. The freezer thing is only needed if there are live larvae present, otherwise I would recommend a good brushing with a stiff brush to clean out the felt. The many small wholes can be blended in a bit by doing this and afterwards try steaming it and working back the shape a little. I think the chin strap may be a gonner though if it is too dry and crumbly. You can try removing the buttons. The badge is corroded a bit and we do not know if the blades are still sturdy enough for a little bending, so you may wish to keep it in place and include it in the brushing. Good luck!

CB

PS, It is a ww2 era cap and better chinstrap is not difficult to find should the original break. Again, I do not recommend the freezer thing if you want to try to keep the chinstrap as that will destroy it for sure.
Old 03-07-23, 08:29 PM

CB,

I agree with everything that you have said. I removed the chinstrap before putting it in the freezer, and yes it is very dry and brittle. I have put some leather balm on it, but it is really too far gone. The shape of the hat in the photograph is distorted by my hand pushing up the top of the cap to show the cap badge.

The upside is that I paid a car boot sale price for the cap and now own a piece of history that was destined for the bin.

Simon.
Old 04-07-23, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
CB,

I agree with everything that you have said. I removed the chinstrap before putting it in the freezer, and yes it is very dry and brittle. I have put some leather balm on it, but it is really too far gone. The shape of the hat in the photograph is distorted by my hand pushing up the top of the cap to show the cap badge.

The upside is that I paid a car boot sale price for the cap and now own a piece of history that was destined for the bin.

Simon.
Simon - what a beautiful thing - what a story it could tell.
For me it would be the freezer, and interfere as little as possible - but that is because, personally, I know very little about conservation and would not want to do irreplaceable harm. It has character and a story to match - what a great find
Mike
Old 04-07-23, 07:00 PM

A good find, the damage is its history. C. WWII as already stated.

Jerry
Old 08-07-23, 01:50 PM

The cap badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050450.jpg (95.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg P1050452.jpg (103.6 KB, 32 views)