British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-12-08, 07:12 PM

Default Can anyone help me tell if these are genuine?

Hey everyone, these are literlly the only WWI Badges that I have, I bought them a few years ago as originals. I am now wanting (or actually needing) to part with them. Even though I bought them as original, I dont want to sell them as such if they are not. Can someone tell me what a reasonable price for them would be? I would liek to sell them here since I know they would go to someone who would want them for what they are, no someone who wants to turn around and make a profit off of them.
In the future I am hoping to be able to start collecting Liverpool Scottish items. (peter's collection is the source of my envy)

Thanks everyone!!

Thanks!!
Chad
Old 10-12-08, 07:14 PM

here are some of the cap badge..

Thanks,
Chad
Old 10-12-08, 08:40 PM

i just wanted to sd that the collar badge measures in at 38mm in height from the bottom of the stem to the top fo the leaf. It also has a pin backeing versus lugs..but looks like this may have been added later. It is also marked O.B. Allan clearly on the back above the reversed impression of the4 number 72.
Thanks,
Chad
Old 11-12-08, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator

Chad, The Seaforth title and collar look good. They are CEF era. Is there any maker mark on the cap badge?
Old 11-12-08, 01:26 AM

BIll,
No unfortunately not.
Thanks,
Chad
Old 11-12-08, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Chad, A couple of observations. The lugs on the cap badge are the flat stamped pattern, which is not typical of the 72nd Seaforth's. The die your badge was struck from is different die from the Mazeas Pre-1914 book. (The Seaforth's used the militia period cap badge as their CEF cap badge.) It is also different from the one in Taboika's book.
Old 11-12-08, 03:39 PM

SO is it post war? What is dieffernt about the dies?
Thanks,
CHad
Old 11-12-08, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Chad, part way through this thread is an image of the 72nd Seaforth's. http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...light=seaforth You can compare that badge with your example. There are many differences, for example check the numerals. Yours are smooth, the others are detailed. The wreath is different, as are the antlers. Completely different dies.
Old 11-12-08, 05:44 PM

ok, SO I am under the impression that this is NOT a War time example?? But if not, then why would someone go to the trouble of creating a whole different die for a copy...versus just molding an original?
Thanks,
Chad
Old 11-12-08, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure that I would conclude that it is not wartime. However, it is not the typical pattern of 72nd badge.
If we could answer your question about dies, we would all be much wiser.
Old 11-12-08, 10:35 PM

The flat stamped lugs are unusual. I cannot be sure, but they do not look like OB Allan lugs - I bring this up as I am wondering if this is an Allan manufactured badge. It may very well be a pre-1914 badge. The other possibility is a cadet badge. There is a modern cadet badge of the 72nd pattern, but it is cast/plated with a flat reverse.

On Chad's badge the motto reads RIGH, not RICH as on the badge Bill directed us to.

Phil

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 11-12-08 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-12-08, 12:13 AM

COuld this one have been made in England during the war, versus in Canada before the war? I was just wondering because it seams the correct spelling (according to the majority of such things as commercial badges, decals from the museum, etc), is with a "g" wersus a "C", but of course I could be wrong .
Just a thought..
Chad