British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-12-11, 07:13 AM

Default New guy in the ranks...

Hi all, I've been collecting off & on since 1980. I'm now getting close to finishing my cap badge collection of every unit that ever existed in the Windsor/Essex county Ontario area.

From the Canada Militia Act of 1885 to 2012 etc.

At this time I'm looking for the 1910, 21st Pith Helmet Shako (Crown over starburst with the number 21 in the center).

Also looking for a 1927 collar dog for the "Essex Fusiliers".
The one collar I have has the 18th on it but I'd like to get one that has nothing on it. Just missed one on ebay earlier this week that was mistakenly listed as an Irish Fusilier badge.

Another on my wish list would be a copper lion head collar dog for the "241st Canadian Scottish Borderers Canada badge". I own one but had lost or otherwise misplaced it.

------

Here's a question I'd like some info on: Other that the 1800-1813 Georgian/Victorian Stove Pipe Shako Plate and the Belgic(sp) shako introduced tward the end of the war of 1812... I'd like very much to know what other units were on the ground in the area (Windsor/ Amherstburg/ Essex County, Ontario Canada from the period between the 1812 war to 1885.

The only one I am aware of is the 23rd batallion that existed just prior to 1885 but again, I have little info of this unit (23rd). Was there a cap badge of any kind for this unit? What date was it raised etc. Any photos/pictures or any infomation about insignia or anything at all would be of assistance!!!

------

Next year, 2012, will be the 200th aniversary of the War of 1812. The Town of Amherstburg (where it all began), as I understand it, will be in full celebrating. After all, the first shots of that war were fired there.

What I'm looking at doing is to make a proper display of CapBadges form the war of 1812 to 2012 in chronological order listing the dates each unit was raised and disbanded as well as some history of each unit in proper order, noting the commanding officer(s) at that time as well as battel honor recieved. Tasking , areas of operation, ...anythng of notable interest.

I have just about all the info I need. I've photographers, graphic artists, people who frame & matt, as well as other local collectors at the ready for this winter project. Only thing missing is a little more info from the end of the 1812 war and prior to 1885.

Any assistance from members on this site would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou in advance,

E&K
Old 16-12-11, 09:41 AM

A very warm welcome E&K. That sounds an interesting collection you have there and I will look forward to your future posts on it.

Regards,

johnG
Old 16-12-11, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Hello E&K, Welcome to the Forum.
If you are asking about the units in the Windsor area, do you have a copy of the E&K history? Duty Nobly Done outlines that period of time in your area very well. To answer your question about the 23rd,
23rd Essex Battalion of Light Infantry, Windsor Ontario. Authorized 14 Sept 1866
Disbanded 11 March 1870. There were 6 companies of the battalion. No 5 Coy was in Amherstburg until 3 May 1867. If they had a badge, it would have been the generic Canada Militia qvc badge, Mazeas MS 2.
To clarify, your badge display is to be badges of the units in the Essex County area?
Old 16-12-11, 10:18 PM

Been wanting to get that book for a while. My fingers are crossed that Santa might stuff a copy in my stocking!

Yes, it will be a display of the CapBadges of each unit that ever served in the Essex County area.

Anyone wanna part with one of them generic "Canada Militia" CapBadges???

See attachments for items I'm looking for... (note the large 21st shako/pith helmet badge in the black & white pic, bottom right) ...thats the one I NEED to get!!! Anyone have any leads as to where I can find one???

Thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !Bo3NmMwBWk~$(KGrHqEH-DsEu(,+eWITBLpOFOTjP!~~_12.jpg (21.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 21st badges.jpg (32.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 1927 Essex Fusilers collar dog.jpg (70.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 16-12-11, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Hi E&K, The badge at the right bottom of the Mazeas page is the 1908 tercentenary badge. They were made for the celebration in Quebec City of the 300 year anniversary. All the units that attended had a badge for their contingent, the idea being they looked similar from a distance, but still had individual regimental identity. They are not easy to find, some units being much harder to find than others.
Old 17-12-11, 12:18 AM

No kidding, they are difficult to find. A fellow collector of mine has one & I know of two others in existance.

Given the fact that this is a two piece badge, the "crown w/star" being the first part and the number "21" making up the second part.

Even if someone has just the 'crown w/star' section, I'd be interested in buying that part by itself.

Thanks,

Last edited by E&K; 19-12-11 at 03:29 AM.