British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-04-16, 01:59 PM

Default Royal Signals Beret Badge identification please.

Dear Friends.

Can any body please help with the identification of the attached Beret Badge please. On Green Felt backing.

I am inclined to think it is in some way connected with 68 Inns of Court and City Yeomanry Signal Squadron (V) but have no proof.

I show the both Officer's Pattern Beret Badges for this Squadron on my little web site, www.signalsbadges.co.uk both the old version and the 2008 version.

I also show the Other Ranks versions of the Beret Badge the original version and the 2012 version of the badge on the web site.

I have been in touch with the PSAO of the Squadron Captain Donaldson and he says he will ask the Squadron Museum curator but as yet I have no reply.

The attached badge is very well made and is very similar to an older version of 70 Essex Yeomanry Signal Squadron (V) which has the red backing and who no long exist. I attach a photo of one of these badges for comparison.

My search so far from people I thought would be able to assist me have so far proved unsuccessful.

Any thoughts from any members to the Forum would be much appreciated.

Could it be a Cadet Unit for instance, but I know of none that would have worn it.

I hope someone can steer me in the right direction.

Best wishes and thanks

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Old 24-04-16, 02:26 PM

All three colours of this badge turned up on the market about two or three years back. Can not remember where they came from.

Marc
Old 12-05-16, 03:34 PM

Default Royal Signals Beret Badge

Dear Marc.

Many thanks for the reply. I have not replied earlier as I have been waiting for a reply from Captain John Donaldson Royal Signals. PSOA of 68 Inns of Court and City Yeomanry Signal Squadron (V)

John has just advised me that he has just ordered 100 of these Other Ranks Beret badges for the Squadron.

You are quite correct Marc, John has advised me that this design came out about three years ago and a far better design to the badge that Other Ranks were wearing from 2012. The design is much clearer and a totally better badge.

The reason for the delay is that there were a number of the 2012 version badges to be used first . I have attached a copy of this badge for you to see. Even this badge was better than the original design beret badge which I also show below.

I have written to the Corps Museum to see if there are any other new variants of the Corps badge about. Will advise as and when.

Kind regards

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 68 ICCY 2013 Version 001.jpg (117.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg rcs_68iccy_or_cloth_1969-current.jpg (117.8 KB, 15 views)