British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-08-21, 03:53 PM

Default 7th Armoured Desert Rats Patches 'Brabant'

Hi! From what I've gleaned from the forum, I have here a facing pair of uncut/unissued 'Brabant Weave' patches to the 7th Armoured Division 'Desert Rats', manufactured in Belgium or Holland from late 1944. Fairly heavy weight compared to patches I've handled before. Very much not my sphere of collecting, so it would be great if someone could confirm originality and possible value. I will be selling them on and will, of course, offer them for sale here on the forum first. All the best, Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4444.jpg (118.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4445.jpg (118.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4443.jpg (112.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4446.jpg (118.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4447.jpg (119.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 04-08-21, 03:27 PM

It is original and a fine set. Can't comment on values.

CB
Old 04-08-21, 07:08 PM

Look the same as a single I own, nice to see an uncut pair

Jerry
Old 07-08-21, 09:28 AM

Hi CB and Jerry, many thanks for confirming what I thought to be the case. They came to me in a nice 'sleepy' (as the dealers like to say) lot of metal and home front badges. I shall have to try and research value further - trouble is, I really have no idea what such things might be worth. I can't even find any singles that have sold recently. It seems you can buy as many cut pairs of copy/repro Desert Rats as you like on the bay for 15 quid. If anyone has seen any sold recently, a point in that direction would be great. Thanks again for replies, Mike
Old 17-08-21, 05:24 PM

I purchased a worn Brabant pair on eBay in 2019 for £35.00. While I'm famous for overpaying, I do occasionally find a bargain. Don't know which this was...
Old 17-08-21, 06:14 PM

Maybe I am off key here but I have always understood the brabant weave to one that showed the same image as the front, only in near reverse colors. Is there more than one style called brabant? Here is an example that I call brabant.

Interested to know regarding what the brabant description means in the UK.

Thanks,

Terry
Old 17-08-21, 09:16 PM

I think is the post war german made type called Bevo weave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
Maybe I am off key here but I have always understood the brabant weave to one that showed the same image as the front, only in near reverse colors. Is there more than one style called brabant? Here is an example that I call brabant.

Interested to know regarding what the brabant description means in the UK.

Thanks,

Terry

Jerry
Old 18-08-21, 02:55 AM

Yes, Jerry, you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. Old age just clouded my thinking and I was confusing Brabant with Bevo. My apology all, I bow to a greater mind than mine, and have no idea why I got confused.

Terry
Old 18-08-21, 07:27 PM

A few additional comments on woven badges, and then maybe someone with more expertise can weigh-in:

The term "BeVo" originally was an acronym for the name of a company making insignia in Nazi Germany. They used, and may have originated, a process of machine manufacture that left loose threads on the reverse side of the badge.

There are many examples of wartime British badges made using a similar technique.

"Brabant" weave badges show an outline of the figure on the reverse side.

Wartime Italian-made woven patches typically have a reversed image on the backside without the loose threads. Collectors sometimes refer to these as "Italian BeVo."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_9d3b.jpg (58.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_9d39.jpg (58.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_9d3a.jpg (59.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_9d38.jpg (61.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_9d37.jpg (55.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_9d35.jpg (76.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_9d36.jpg (57.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 18-08-21, 09:04 PM

Thank you Dob,

That is good info to know, and especially for one who made such a dumb mistake!

Terry
Old 19-08-21, 06:00 AM

The name "BeVo" weave comes from "Bandfabrik Ewald Vorsteher". Which was the merger of two firms, Lucas Vorsteher and Ewald Vorsteher, in the city of Wuppertal-Barmen (Barmen was a district in the city of Wuppertal), Germany. They combined the abbreviation and the name of the town of their factory to create the brand name and logo of "BeVo-Wuppertal".
Sometimes this name can be found woven into the end of BeVo weave insignia rolls.

Credit: Germany And Deutschland Magazine

Many countries have used BeVo weave since WW2 including the US, UK and Australia.
Old 19-08-21, 09:05 AM

I always wondered when exactly the woven types, such as the 9th corp were produced, are they late war or post war? In answer to my own question IXth corps was disbanded after the end of the war in the desert in 1943, and possibly stopped using the kilkenny cat before they got there

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobw View Post
A few additional comments on woven badges, and then maybe someone with more expertise can weigh-in:

The term "BeVo" originally was an acronym for the name of a company making insignia in Nazi Germany. They used, and may have originated, a process of machine manufacture that left loose threads on the reverse side of the badge.

There are many examples of wartime British badges made using a similar technique.

"Brabant" weave badges show an outline of the figure on the reverse side.

Wartime Italian-made woven patches typically have a reversed image on the backside without the loose threads. Collectors sometimes refer to these as "Italian BeVo."

Jerry

Last edited by JerryBB; 19-08-21 at 04:06 PM.
Old 19-08-21, 05:45 PM

Many thanks for comments (and weave guide Dob)! Wish I'd seen that a few months back when I was selling a few patches I'd picked up in a larger lot and now realise one of which was probably a BeVo weave. I appreciate with the badges in the OP, being uncut is a bit of an unknown factor price wise - certainly with metal badges, some people love 'minters' and others are somewhat wary of them. Anyhow, I've come up with a price, right or wrong, and will list them in the classifieds later - £50.00 inc p&p if anyone's interested. Thanks again, Mike