British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-04-08, 09:30 PM

Default 4th RID Guards

Hi Paddy,Orasot,Malc , Plus All,
Who are following the 4th RIDG sargar, ***Blades,lugs(cap or collars) ****I have attached pic's of WM collars and Sil/Gilt 4th Royal I D Guards . I have some where Vic 4RIDG Collars same size as White metal items but in Sil/Gilt/ Enamel. *****Notice no scroll *****Question is why would they in between Vic and post 2WW make collars the same size as the cap badge.

WM Collars as www.swapmilitaria.co.uk

Someone must know.

3748 Hussar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 RIDG WM Collars.JPG (52.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg no 5.JPG (63.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 07-04-08, 10:03 PM

Default 4th Royal Irish D Guards

Rear pic attached , 4th Royal Irish D Guards to stop the q's you haven't pic of rear of the badge.!!!!!!************ Notice with a flat back ******** Not only is the centre fixed from the rear ! *******The scroll is also fixed with 2 pins from the rear not stuck on or Glued.

Lugs not blades

3748 Hussar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 ri 5ril.JPG (36.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 08-04-08, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3748 Hussar View Post
Hi Malc,
I see the centre piece is pinned under the blades on your example . How is the title on yours attached Glued ?

3748 Hussar
Hi 3748 Hussar
Glued no, as with Wilfs mine has been brazed/melded if that is the right term.
You have a nice couple of badges both J & Co the same as the one sold on ebay.
I did notice though that your 2 badges differ from the J & Co sold on ebay and both Wilf and my badges plus the O/Rs badge.
The title scroll on your badges says 4th (R.I) Dragoon Guards and our examples plus the J & Co ebay and O/Rs says 4th Royal Irish D.Guards.

Any ideas why J & Co would make 2 different versions ?? as i have not seen that type of title used for this badge before.

Cheers
Malc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0c6b_1.jpg (16.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg n0%204.JPG (41.4 KB, 11 views)

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 08-04-08, 01:17 AM

Some examples of full size collars with the cap badge.
In some cases the collars are made better than the cap badge, the Hampshires for example all Gaunt made but the collars scrolls are pinned unlike the cap badge.
I will post a picture of the back later.

Cheers
Malc

Last edited by Malcolm Davey; 12-04-08 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-04-08, 05:32 AM

Default 4th RIDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jochim View Post
Hi 3748 Hussar
Glued no, as with Wilfs mine has been brazed/melded if that is the right term.
You have a nice couple of badges both J & Co the same as the one sold on ebay.
I did notice though that your 2 badges differ from the J & Co sold on ebay and both Wilf and my badges plus the O/Rs badge.
The title scroll on your badges says 4th (R.I) Dragoon Guards and our examples plus the J & Co ebay and O/Rs says 4th Royal Irish D.Guards.

Any ideas why J & Co would make 2 different versions ?? as i have not seen that type of title used for this badge before.

Cheers
Malc
Hi Malc,
Slightly confused here, maybe you can help me out. Why would the centre be attached by pins and the title scroll attached in a different way?
As we know that when joining two metals together ie braising we neeed sweat holes.
I have another 4RIDG same as your pattern bladed with the scroll and centre devise pinned. It just dosn't make sense.
Why 4th RI Dragoon Guards/ 4th Royal Irish D Guards. Unknown to me at the moment. point to note I have never seen a other ranks 4th RI Dragoon Guards cap badge.
This pattern for reference is in the K&K.

Regards

3748 Hussar
Old 08-04-08, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3748 Hussar View Post
Hi Malc,
Slightly confused here, maybe you can help me out. Why would the centre be attached by pins and the title scroll attached in a different way?
As we know that when joining two metals together ie braising we neeed sweat holes.
I have another 4RIDG same as your pattern bladed with the scroll and centre devise pinned. It just dosn't make sense.
Why 4th RI Dragoon Guards/ 4th Royal Irish D Guards. Unknown to me at the moment. point to note I have never seen a other ranks 4th RI Dragoon Guards cap badge.
This pattern for reference is in the K&K.

Regards

3748 Hussar
Hi 3748 Hussar
Not being privy to various Manufacturers badge making Techniques i can not say why the centre is pinned and the scroll not, when i say braze/meld i do not mean like brass on white metal, its like the two pieces of bronze are melted into each other if this makes sense, perhap someone who knows about badge Manufacturers Techniques could explain better.
Found your badges in K&K and you are right it states no O/Rs badge made in this pattern thanks for pointing this out.
Cheers
Malc

Last edited by Malcolm Davey; 12-04-08 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-04-08, 06:49 AM

Here is another badge where the scroll is not pinned through, 2nd V.B The Royal Sussex Regiment not maker marked.

Cheers
Malc

Last edited by Malcolm Davey; 12-04-08 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-04-08, 07:34 AM

Not an O.S.D, but purely for reference here is a Highland Cyclist Battalion T.F
with the scrolls not pinned through.
Maker Wm Anderson & sons.

Cheers
Malc

Last edited by Malcolm Davey; 12-04-08 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-04-08, 07:10 PM

Default 4th RIDG Last Post

Hi All,

After some expensive phone calls from Africa to the Uk , I believe I can put this post to bed on my behalf.

1. 4th RI Dragoon Guards Scroll post 1902 changed to 4th Royal Irish D Guards. Why ? Simple This was a Royal Regiment and the RI was seen as an insult for such a fine Irish Regiment . This was short lived.

2. Cap or Collar there were two patterns Bronze ! one slightly smaller than the cap badge , the other same size.

3. Blades or lugs . In general yes blades for caps lugs for collars. However these were struck from the same die, different fixing.

4. Blades were not so robust as lugs so thats why its not uncommon to see reluged caps.

I hope this clears things up with reference to this regt Bz badges

3748 Hussar
Old 08-04-08, 07:20 PM

Thanks, Thats what the forum is all about, acquiring and sharing knowledge. I appreciate all your efforts, interesting to know the R.I info, cheers,
Wilf.
Old 09-04-08, 09:40 AM

3748 Hussars
Like Wilf i also appreciate all your efforts and information regarding the R.I badges and thanks for showing them,very nice.

Cheers
Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.