British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-04-08, 06:50 PM

Default Embelishments- authorised by whom

I have been going through " Badge Backing and Special Embelishments of the British Army" again recently, and there is something which I think is rather confusing.

Some dress distinctions appear to have been approved after going through processes involving war office committees, regimental dress committees etc etc, but every now and again a senior officer (Colonel in Chief, Field Marshal. etc ) would "authorise " (for example ) a particular tartan backing to a cap badge, occasionally after seeking permission for the head of the clan involved.

Sometimes a visiting Royal might make positive comment on a dress distinction which had been adopted but not approved by anyone, so nobody was prepared to question the wearing of that item in the future.

presumably those officially sanctioned dress distinctions are recorded somewhere (?), but am I right that all the others ( i.e.not officially sanctioned ) are only recorded in publications such as "Badge Backings.........." If so perhaps this is something that we might start recording here on the Forum ( i.e items not mentioned in that excellent book )before the information is lost forever

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 20-04-08, 07:13 PM

Unfortunately not all embellishments (official or otherwise) have been or are recorded. Which is why there are always badges, flashes and the odd button coming to light that require a little research. Where do you start and where do you end?
The Regimental jumper for members of the Royal Regiment of Artillery is dark blue with shoulder straps, however I have seen at least 2 different colours being worn and variations on the Official dark blue one.
Old 20-04-08, 07:20 PM

Most, if not all, are / were recorded by the WO Dress Committee. There are quite a few files at the National Archives of their deliberations. The biggest shake up was started in about 1947 when they were trying to clear up all the unofficial ones that appeared during the 2nd WW. I've been through most of these files BUT only concentrating on one regiment. Even there I think I've seen pleas by various COs etc for somethingorother which was or was not dsanctioned by the WO.
I think Audax's book also deals with quilkte modern embellishments which I'm afraid I haven't looked up (I lose interest in 1958).
J
Old 20-04-08, 07:57 PM

As well as pure collectors we appear to have a number of former serving soldiers ( who are now collectors ) who have mentioned various items they can conform were being worn from personal experience. It is this type of information ( 54 Btys odd badges,flashes and buttons ) which I think should be recorded somewhere before it is lost.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”