British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-01-16, 05:01 PM

I tried a brute force approach and it yielded one possibility.
As there are so many sellers happy to grab a name and sell a named object: It is only a SUGGESTION, because there is NO PROOF.

The rose, thistle and shamrock wreath indicate England, Scotland and Ireland. Let us assume the crown indicates a Royal Charter.

This list has a series of Royal Chartered Companies.
http://www.thefullwiki.org/List_of_o..._royal_charter

This list yields one good option only:
Corpus Christi College Oxford

Again: it is only a suggestion.
It may be hard to find evidence.
Old 10-01-16, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btns View Post
I tried a brute force approach and it yielded one possibility.
As there are so many sellers happy to grab a name and sell a named object: It is only a SUGGESTION, because there is NO PROOF.

The rose, thistle and shamrock wreath indicate England, Scotland and Ireland. Let us assume the crown indicates a Royal Charter.

This list has a series of Royal Chartered Companies.
http://www.thefullwiki.org/List_of_o..._royal_charter

This list yields one good option only:
Corpus Christi College Oxford

Again: it is only a suggestion.
It may be hard to find evidence.
Certainly a possibility worth considering I think.....

David
Old 11-01-16, 12:13 PM

Hello

Thank you everyone for your comments, especially btns for his hard work trawling through a list of possible 'CCC' candidates!

I always find the problem with this style of button is not so much finding possible candidates for the organisation concerned (and there have been several useful suggestions so far) but finding the supporting evidence to firmly pin the identification down.

I am still inclined to favour it as a railway button though. See the photo below where it is compared with one of my 'GWR' buttons (in gilt but the principles are the same). The basic design is the same (crown, initials, wreath), the horizontally lined background is the same and the wreath is the same rose, thistle, shamrock pattern.

Oh well I shall keep trying!

Thanks again for all your comments.

Regards
Roger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ccc-gwr.jpg (85.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 11-01-16, 12:25 PM

Roger,

I never fail to be amazed at just how many separate Railway Companies ( never mind joint Companies and Stations ) there were at the beginning:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lway_companies

but of course the Kings crown rather limits the time period.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 11-01-16, 01:08 PM

Hello Peter

Yes, it is amazing how many railway companies there were in the early days, gradually getting fewer and fewer as amalgamations took place.

As you say, the King's crown on my button eliminates most of them.

I did try a Google search for 'CCC' railway a while back to no avail. However, I will wade through the list on your link to see if there are any likely candidates! Who knows, a link to a link and so on might provide an answer!

Thanks for the info.

Regards
Roger
Old 11-01-16, 01:24 PM

I must admit it does tend to shout "Railway" but, as mentioned above, by 1902 many of the small branch/local lines had been swallowed up by their larger counterparts.

Whenever the button has cropped up it's always been assumed the script is "CCC", including by myself. I know I'm stating the obvious here but could it possibly be something other than "CCC"?

David
Old 11-01-16, 04:49 PM

Hello David

I always thought the initials were 'CCC' but sometimes script lettering can be confusing. I was hoping someone would see different letters but so far it is 'CCC'!

I did wonder if there was some significance about the middle 'C' being larger but if so I am at a loss to know what.

Roger
Old 11-01-16, 05:01 PM

Mention was made earlier of a Supplement to Froggatt and I was wondering about getting hold of a copy.

Having searched on Abebooks:

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Se...=Railway&sts=t

I cannot believe the cost of the supplement or indeed the cost of the original book, I cannot remember what I paid for my copy of the original but it was a fraction of what copies now seem to sell for.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 11-01-16, 05:14 PM

Hello Peter

I followed your link and couldn't believe the prices being asked for the Supplement or the book!!

The original cover price of the book was £25.00 but I know I paid less for it than that from a discount bookseller.

I have never seen the Supplement, only heard about it so I have no idea how comprehensive it is and for £50.00 I won't be finding out! That said, if the description is correct then there are almost as many pages in the Supplement (132) as in the original book (208)!

Also, it is "Supplement 1". Is there a "Supplement 2" I wonder?

Roger
Old 11-01-16, 08:33 PM

Hi Chaps

I did wonder about the letters not being exactly the same but no suggestions other than "CCC" so far.

The Froggatt book and supplement do sell for ridiculous prices. As far as I know there is only one supplement but I don't have a copy, perhaps he was playing safe by numbering it "1" in case he subsequently decided to publish an additional one.

Even if the button was in the supplement the cost of buying one would probably be far more than the button is worth. Some (mostly early) railway buttons do sell for £££££ though.

David

Last edited by davidwyke; 12-01-16 at 12:14 PM.