British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-10-15, 10:22 PM

Default 100th Regt of Foot

Hi all,

I find myself going gung ho with badges and now buttons, I'd appreciate any thoughts on this officers (?) button to the 100th Foot, the button was made by Firmin & Sons, would I be correct thinking the button dates from around the formation of the Regiment in Canada in 1858 up until 1875 (when buttons were marked "Firmin & Son Ld").

Thanks,

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_1766.jpg (79.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1767.jpg (75.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 24-10-15, 08:35 AM

Hello Stephen

The pattern of this officer's button dates from 1858 to 1881 as I am sure you know. Firmin & Sons did indeed become a limited company in 1875 but whether they immediately changed the dies used for backmarks is open to debate.

Changing such details on letterheads and the like would have been a priority as this would have been a very visible indication of the company's new status.

However, as the backmark is not seen when the button is in situ I personally doubt if changing the details on the backs of buttons was seen as a priority and I suspect that these details were updated only when new dies were produced.

If anyone knows that this was not the case and that the changes were made immediately I would be glad to know.

As an aside, I think dating buttons precisely by use of the backmark can be very difficult.

Whatever the exact date, a very nice button.

Regards
Roger

Last edited by Cribyn; 24-10-15 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Additional info.
Old 24-10-15, 02:05 PM

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your reply, I'm still learning so useful to know that backmarks aren't a fool proof way to date buttons.

Many thanks,

Stephen
Old 24-10-15, 02:16 PM

Hi

This specific button brought back memories of a similar specimen that I obtained in the 70s when handed over to me by a local farmer who found it in one of his fields. I recall doing a write-up on it and I have a few notes that should be consistent with the theme of this thread, ie. backmarks and dating.

My button differs mainly in the fastening and backmark. Scans are atrocious, however I still have line drawings I made at the time. Diameter 25mm.

The 100th Regt of Foot (Prince of Wales's Royal Canadians) was raised in 1858 in Canada. Concerning dating I wrote that there are several methods by which an approximate date can be given to my button, firstly by studying the design, which was still in use up to 1881, the date of amalgamation and when the numeral '100' was dropped. Therefore, the lifespan of the Regiment was 23 years but not necessarily the lifespan of the design. In fact, The POW's plumes, which were borne by the old 100th Foot, were granted to the Regiment in 1860, two years after being raised.

The shank is of a most unusual type. The base has been crimped in the centre so that the depression thus formed allows the shank to form a 'bridge' for fastening purposes, rather than the more conventional loop. An early specimen!

Then there is the backmark, which would normally give a good clue to dating, but which in this case is of little help seeing that it is a patent, and to all intents and purposes might easily have originated from Canada. At the time I had no info on 'E & Ws', however they may well have been Edelsten & Williams, Birmingham. They were very active with patents at the time.

Finally, knowing that British troops garrisoned Malta on a regular basis ever since the beginning of the 19th century till relatively recently (1979), I followed this line and documentary evidence showed that the 100th served in Malta between 1863 and 1866.

As shown, button dating utilises data gleaned from the button itself, combined with background research.

Hope the above has been useful

GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100Ft_0001.jpg (56.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 100Ft_0002.jpg (47.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 100Ft_0003.jpg (37.7 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by GTB; 24-10-15 at 04:21 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 24-10-15, 08:07 PM

Hi GTB,

Interesting post and useful to see an earlier example, not a bad find from a farmers field, probably would have been an excellent spot for metal detecting if it is legal in Malta.

Many thanks for your post,

Stephen