British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-11-14, 03:44 PM

Roy those presentations look superb. The mouldings you've picked for the frames are sensational and striking. One would normally think such strong frames might overwhelm the badges but in my opinion they highlight them incredibly well.

Pete - thanks ever so much for sharing your German WW2 collection with us. Wonderful to see that somebody is making an effort to preserve and present those fantastic designs.

When I see things like this it makes me want to go sit in my freezing cold garage and start work on something - an impulse I gradually get rid of.
Old 01-11-14, 08:00 PM

Hi Glyn

I agree, I was surprised when I tried a few frames out at how some work really well. One of the tricks I have found is to use a matting with a suitable cutout to 'draw the eye' into the badge. That way the frame enhances the experience.

I sometimes get a frame with a badge in mind but don't like it, so put it aside for another time. Thus far I haven't run out of differing frame types but it will probably happen soon!

Re your comment about Pete's collection, totally agree. And would be more than happy to have anyone include there efforts at displays here, a great way to inspire one another.

So not to leave without another photo - here is my 19th Alberta Mounted Rifles badge (again better image in my album). Shown this one before but included here for completeness. This looks wonderful in the flesh, so much better than my photograph represents.

Cheers, Roy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0010.jpg (54.5 KB, 34 views)

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 01-11-14, 10:18 PM

Hello Roy,
I was inspired by a frame you showed some time ago, so I had a go at framing some of mine. Yours are a credit to you and as mentioned very nice mouldings.

Phil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1913.jpg (96.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1914.jpg (100.0 KB, 44 views)
Old 01-11-14, 11:19 PM

Default A Peek At My Frames

Good day Roy,

As requested, here's a couple of my display frames. I normally don't show just one badge, I go for a grouping. First is all the badges and flashes during my service in the Canadian Regular and Reserve Forces. The second is just a collection of cloth badges that are unofficial or sports patches, also picked at different times during my 30-some-odd years (and some of them were odd!). The frames are both made by me, with the first being a glass fronted shadow box.

Enjoy.

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frames1.jpg (63.7 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Frames2.jpg (67.2 KB, 49 views)
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 02-11-14, 02:00 AM

Hi Phil,

Outstanding job, very impressive and well done. Those badges are really dramatic and deserve their own frames. Keep them coming!

Ian, wonderful my friend, again an outstanding job. Group framing can be just as nice especially when there is some thread to bind the group together. I'm thinking of something similar for a group of Indian Cavalry badges, just need a few more though.

Jolly good show all round chaps

Cheers, Roy.

Old 02-11-14, 05:01 PM

I just don't understand why anyone would gripe about Nazi. Wehrmacht, SS, Kriegsmarine or Luftwaffe badges being displayed. Yes I've seen the "They bombed our chip shop" guys getting indignant and I can understand the feelings of anyone who lost a close relative in WW2 but the badges displayed here are in the same category as museum pieces.

We preserve German tanks, planes and submarines from WW2, complete with insignia so why would badges be any different? Especially 70 years after the event.
Old 03-11-14, 03:42 AM

Hi Glyn,

I couldn't agree more, as military 'history' enthusiasts it is our place to enjoy, study and help preserve historical military relics. To get involved in any of the politically issues that historically played a part in past events is a none starter. And of course preserving such historical artifacts not only keeps these events in our minds and honors all those who paid but also reminds us of the hard lessons learn't, so we can (one would hope) not repeat them.

Well enough politics - let me show 'one I made earlier' as they used to say on Blue Peter...!

This was one of my earlier attempts at framing, but not too bad, either way this 16th Canadian Light Horse Officers Cap Badge is a beauty.

Cheers, Roy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0009.jpg (65.8 KB, 40 views)

Old 03-11-14, 01:44 PM

The inner frame really makes that badge stand out. Superb Roy.
Old 10-11-14, 02:59 AM

Not much in the way of art and framing but a small collection that I put in a display case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0880.jpg (39.5 KB, 41 views)
Old 10-11-14, 04:11 AM

Thanks for that Glyn, pleased you like it.

Hi 48th a cracking display nonetheless, having all those patches together looks grand and makes for quite a dramatic showing well done and many thanks for sharing.

I'm working on a new framing that all being well will be finished in a day or so, but in the mean time here is one of my earlier attempts that I just love. I'm not an Air-Force collectors but couldn't resist this beauty.

Cheers, Roy. And keep the displays coming
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0012.jpg (53.3 KB, 39 views)

Old 10-11-14, 04:51 PM

Okay Gents,

My latest effort, just finished this morning - my 221st Inf Bat officers badge framed.

This time around I thought it would be easier to photograph 'before' I hung it on the wall..!

Not an overly fancy frame on this one but felt it worked well. I've got into the habit of taking the relevant badge with me to see what frames work, so quite pleased how this one turned out.

Cheers, Roy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0004.jpg (57.6 KB, 36 views)

Old 03-12-14, 03:47 PM

Well Gents,

Forgive me but not a Canadian badge on this occasion but included here for completeness as most are indeed Canadian. Nevertheless I just framed up my Liverpool Irish 1860 Volunteer Rifles cross-belt badge. A little tricky this one but pleased with the final result. Next badge will be Canadian and something rather special too!

Cheers, Roy.

P.s I will also include this is the British Infantry thread I started on this badge but as mentioned just included here for completeness as this is my main 'art gallery' thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copyright Roy Shadbolt.jpg (76.8 KB, 35 views)

Old 29-03-15, 01:21 AM

Hi Chaps,

So I haven't had any time these last few months to continue with my 'Art Gallery' project but today I grabbed a spare frame set about it.

Not Canadian on this occasion but a Scots Guards (HM silver) badge. It's so difficult to photograph once frames so I included an image of the badge separately for anyone interested.

Quite a dramatic frame but the design of the badge soon draws ones eye in and besides it was the frame I had hanging around.

Roy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0007.jpg (49.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Copyright © 2015 Roy Shadbolt Collection:SG.jpg (39.2 KB, 22 views)

Old 29-03-15, 03:01 AM

You do a great job of presentation Roy, be it the frames or your website. Well done.
Old 29-03-15, 03:26 PM

Thank you very much Sir,

If nothing else it keeps me out of trouble - well most of the time

Cheers, Roy.