British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-02-14, 03:04 PM

Default !2th foot. button circa.1810

Hi --I am a new member. I have an interest in the 12th Foot ( The Suffolks) from c 1808 until c 1816. An ancestor of mine was with this regiment at the capture of Mauritius in 1810 and stayed with the garrison force on the Island until discharge in 1816. I'm hoping to locate a photo --or even an original--of a contemporary button or badge from this regiment. I have a general interest in Napoleonic military period also. Hoping someone will be able to help? "Thanks". Dave.
Old 06-02-14, 07:12 PM

Default 12th foot

hi dave, I am also looking for the same button for a friend of mine here in Norwich. lets hope we both find one.
Old 06-02-14, 08:38 PM

Default 12th regt button

Hi there-----sounds like you got in first---so I'll hope for the second one. Good luck. Were they pewter by the way? The regimental museum don't seem to have one---I haven't been there, but from a response from e-mail correspondence I don't think they have. I'm looking for a Shako plate---but I think they must be rare as hen's teeth. I've got a later one---but I'm after the real thing. Best wishes Dave
Old 07-02-14, 09:06 AM

Good morning all,

From "(Military) Shoulder-Belt Plates and Buttons" by Parkyn, "The design of the buttons varied very little. The men's early pewter buttons had in relief the design of the number '12' below a crown and within a spray of leaves. The officers' buttons and those for other ranks retained this design until 1881.".

Unfortunately I do not have one of the buttons from this period but at least the description might help in your search. Good hunting!

Regards,
Roger.
Old 07-02-14, 08:23 PM

Default Thanks Roger

Good information Roger--thank you very much. I assume from what you say that the 12th buttons from c 1810 were pewter and as you described------.My ancestor was a private soldier James Bailey. I have his attestation papers and discharge papers---but would love to have a button or badge. It seems the Mauritius campaign went largely unnoticed in the scheme of Napoleonic warfare---but its capture from the French in 1810 WAS of strategic importance---but no "bar" for this campaign on the GS medal of 1837 was issued------despite quite a few casualties in the capture of Mauritius. I suppose the powers that be deemed the garrison here too "cushy" to consider recognition!---just a theory. If you come across a button---can you let us know? one or two of us on this Forum are on the look out. Cheers. Dave.
Old 09-02-14, 05:58 PM

Some pictures as requested
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12th foot.jpg (21.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 12th2.jpg (33.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 12th3.jpg (40.2 KB, 37 views)
Old 09-02-14, 08:42 PM

Hello Dave,

Just to confirm that the other ranks' buttons around 1810 would have been pewter; the officers' buttons would have been gilt.

Nice photos from Angle Iron in post 6!

Regards,
Roger.
Old 12-02-14, 04:43 PM

Default 12th Reg't O.R. button

Great--Thanks Cribyn--and Angle iron's pics are great!!--what a collection!!!

Useful info Cribyn--really appreciated--I now know what I am looking for. Don't suppose you have an idea what I would have to pay for 12th button do you? Best wishes Dave.
Old 12-02-14, 05:32 PM

I seem to remember paying about £25 each but I am not sure what they would be now. I suspect about the same, Pewter 12th not common . Kev
Old 12-02-14, 08:29 PM

Hello Dave,

About a week ago a Victorian coatee button (pre 1855) for the 12th Foot sold on ebay (by Endici, a 'Selected Seller' on this Forum) for £43.66. Other buttons of a similar period seem to go for anything around £14.99 on up to £50 or £60 plus depending on the unit. On this basis I would expect a Napoleonic period button for the 12th to go for anything around the £50.00 mark upwards.

As Angle Iron said early pewter buttons for other ranks are not common!

Regards,
Roger.
Old 13-02-14, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGLE IRON View Post
Some pictures as requested
nice
Old 14-02-14, 05:56 PM

Default 12th pewter button

Thanks for the info. Appreciated. The market value reflects the rarity as you rightly say. Whatever would a shako plate set me back then? must be even rarer than hen's teeth!-----Cheers. Dave.